Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first year I have stored my sled without starting it every month,I used storage oil and followed directions exactly on can including spraying for 15 sec. in ea. cyl. Problem is, just for the heck of it tried giving it a pull yesterday with the plugs in it (not to start it) and the compression is so great that I can barely pull it, is this normal? Will the oil thin out in 5 more months? I'm going back to starting it every month next year!!                                                                                                                                                          
Jim

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The fogging oil in the cyls actually will boost compression by sealing up any blow by. Just like when a wet compression test is done on a car engine. If the oil is good,it should stay in there indefinatly. The fogging oil sold by OMC,( now Bombardier ) is the best.  

Last edited by mxz7 at July 30, 2002, 8:19pm

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I fog mine every year, and forget about it until the fall. (well alright, I don't completely forget about it, but I don't worry about starting it).  They are always a little tough to get started in the fall.

You can pull the plugs, and pull it over a few time (might want to put a rag over the plug holes).  This will blow out some of the fogging oil, and make it a little easier to start.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

FishHog

·
Registered
875 Posts
the guy at my Skidoo dealer told me to apply the whole can till it stalls.  it didn't stall out.  was this the correct way to fog?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know about that foging idea. I just like the fact that you end up fauling your plugs every year when you go to start it up. I just store it in a dry place where I can either start it up or just leave it sit and clean the carbs every year. I also drain my old gas out to prevent problems when starting it up after sitting so long.

Man I can't wait for winter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
alscool,
When I fog my sled I use my regular injection oil.  Put it in a pump can and I spray a good pint between each cylinder.  I have tried to stall my sled out and no amount of oil sprayed in will kill the engine.  Like the energizer bunny "it keeps going and going."

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Mine never stall either.  I even used 3 cans of fogger once at the same time.  No stalling.  but all that smoking, means your getting a good coating of oil through the engine.  

Despite the fact that you might have to spend a few bucks on a new set of plugs (I reuse old ones for starting every year) the peace of mind that things aren't rusting is well worth it in my books.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts