Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are alot of ideas. for the proper way to put your sleds away for the off season (what season this year)  

I put stabol in my tanks and start the sleds every other month or so, and never have had a problem.years ago i would drain the carbs and fog the engine as per the manufactures suggestion. What do you guys do? I guess its time to get the fishing rods out.
                                    Kipawa
                                 <
((((((<<

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
kipawa,
 i fog the engine because i don't want to have to start them in the off season. first thing i do though is the car wash brush and water hose, degeaser under the hood. then i grease the fittings,then fog the engine, drain the carbs and almost completely empty the gas tank the remaining gas gets stablizer. i then spray wd40 on the exhaust, on the steel parts of the skid frame and spray the front suspension. i then take about a 2 1/2 gallon pail and put it under the bulkhead to suspend the skies next i hang the rear of the sled. then i go cry my eyes out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Drain the tank, and add stabilizer. Wash it down, polish it up.Close the trailer door,start it once a month...then wait for summer to fly by.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This is what i do, degrease the engine not necessary for ski-doo owners, wash and scrub the whole machine, wax it,Drain most of the gas add stabil, run it to be sure its in the whole system, Fog the engine while it is running, pull the plugs spray the cylinders, remove drive belt, loosen track tension, remove tension from rear torsion springs,put steel wool in the exhaust end, spray any parts which may rust w/wd-40, support sled totally off the ground so the suspension hangs, have a beer look at it, have another beer look at it, drank twelve pack so put the cover on it, put a tarp over the cover, close the door and make next years list of performance mods.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Geez... I should really do more.  I put her on the trailer, put cover on, run every 5 weeks.  

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> i fog the engine because i don't want to have to start them in the off season.[/b][/quote]
I enjoy starting up the sleds during the summer, just the smell of the exhaust makes me feel colder.....

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
So, I've never known how to handle the carbs.  I noticed Paul said he drains them.  Others run stabil until its in the carbs.  I've done both, but is there drawbacks to one or the other.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
paul hit it just right-except he forgot about the electric start sleds-be sure to pull the battery.also-i plug the exhaust with a rag-keeps mice and funky stuff out.
use w-d 40 lots of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Paul,

I like the idea of degreasing under the hood.  What would be the do's and don't when doing this.  I asume you were refering to a spray on degreaser and then a good water hosing.

As for the carbs, last year I stabiled and fogged.  One sled wouldn't run  at the beginning of the season.  Wanted to fall and seemed like it was choking out.  Tore both carbs down and soaked/cleaned.  Never did see any holes clogged but was surprised at how many and how small.  Put back together and ran perfect.  I think I became a believer in draining and then cleaning at the pre-season.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I find that the engine storage spray coats the metal better than wd 40 but just my opinion.And after a crappy season like this i'll be drinking rye instead of beer this year while summerizing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts