Snowmobile World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the snowmobile show I was talking to a Cop about sled laws and regulations and just for fun I asked him what the stupidest thing he ever saw in his carreer was that was done on a snowmobile.

Well almost instantly he remembered somthing that happend awhile ago about 3 to 4 years ago.

It was when the 407 toll highway was just about to go into service and Toronto was trying out helicopters to see if they help with policing the city.

Well he recalled that the first night with the chopper there was a 30Km chase. A Guy half drunk was doing about 120MPH on a Mach Z on the 407 during a snowstorm. He outran the cops but couldnt shake the chopper. Eventually he got to a point where he turned of the highway and went into a forest. He was later caught. Not sure what happend to him. This guy would have gotten away if it wasnt for the chopper so i guess thats pretty bad luck.

An other story was a guy on a MXZ gade durning a snowstorm went for a blast right downtown toronto on the main roads and then drove into his garage. Police caught him later on.

And the last story he told me was about a guy this year on the 407 with a Ds650 doing about 77MPH.

For those of you that dont know the area, The 407 is a major highway and down town toronto would be just like driving thue any major city.

Even though I know that what these people did was wrong, I cant help but think how awsome it would be to do just what they did.

So this is just Toronto and since it happens here it must happen in other places. So lets here the stories.

·
1,327 Posts
I rode ride down king st. in hamilton about 6 years ago on my Phazer.

From Gage ave and King all the way to mount albion rd. Then I took the kings forest trail up to binbrook.

If you know the Hamilton, this a major street.

The roads were completely covered with about 8 inches of snow.

Not sure what I was thinking but it was fun at the time.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL. Its pretty easy to call these people dumb and ask why would you do such a thing.

But deep down we all know we would love to do it.

My dream is that we get so much snow that they would bann cars from the roads and only allow sleds to run. LOL.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A few years ago, a guy was caught riding down I-90, NW of Chicago in a snowstorm. I-90 is a six lane interstate that sees hundreds of thousands of cars a day...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ive ridden the roads (not highways) upto my friends house (probly about 4 miles away) on my sled, after HUGE storm, nobody was on the roads and school was cancelled, my dad was out plowing, so we had no ride to go sledding, so we just rode em from the house.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Back in '86... we had such a huge snowstorm, that they allowed snowmobiles to ride in the city of Winnipeg... everywhere including downtown for 2 or 3 days. All that was moving was sleds and the army's tracked armoured cars. That would be nice to see again!

People are still doing dumb stuff... we have a smidgen of snow... you are talking tops a 1/4 inch. Anyways, buddy just called me today, he just seen someone bashing a new REV in a ditch... ouch!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is awsome. How many people accually were on the street. And how many people owned sleds. And were the cops on sleds patroling..

I find that awsome.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by Skidoowes@Oct 29 2002, 01:43 PM
Back in '86... we had such a huge snowstorm, that they allowed snowmobiles to ride in the city of Winnipeg... everywhere including downtown for 2 or 3 days. All that was moving was sleds and the army's tracked armoured cars. That would be nice to see again!

People are still doing dumb stuff... we have a smidgen of snow... you are talking tops a 1/4 inch. Anyways, buddy just called me today, he just seen someone bashing a new REV in a ditch... ouch!!!
That would be cool! Makes me think of the "old west" but rather than riding horses, everyone is on sleds.LOL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
That snow situation is like a fantasy I tell my wife... she just looks at me funny like... ???

I was not riding back then... I was 15 back then (now I am aging myself not to gracefully)... I went for a walk to a local 7-eleven and I remember sleds were lining up for gas. I also remember listening to the radio alot and thats where they annouced the "open" city. Sleds were only to be used for stuff like tranporting nurses to work, getting mandatory supplies etc... most were riding for fun I am sure.

Two things stick in my mind from back then...
The funny one... a guy I knew had a sled but stored it at a buddies (both lived in the city)... the guy who had it at his place had no key for the machine and the other guy couldnt get to it because there was too much snow to walk (he tried and didnt make it) and he couldnt get a ride there... that would have sucked.

The bad thing, was one guy was killed in the city... he tried jumping/crossing a huge snowbank and there was a front end loader on the other side clearing snow... went right into the bucket and got killed.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Two years ago, we got snowed in here in Sarnia (we never get much snow).

My wife and I both had to get to work, and the 4x4 only got 100' from the driveway.

Pulled out the sled, droped the wife off at work, and headed up the Hwy at 90mph to work. Most fun I had going to work ever. Even went to the Tim Hortons drive thru, but they weren't open, as nobody could get in.

did my critical work, and went and played for the rest of the day.

Man that was fun.

FishHog

·
Registered
677 Posts
When we were younger everybody would go down town with their sleds during the first big snowstorm of the year. The Police would come out and try to catch the sledders without much luck. One of my buddies decided to have some fun one day and started to play cat and mouse with an officer who was not well liked in the town. He would get the cop to chase him, get away, and then go back and find him. Well after a couple of times the cop was able to corner him in this field that has only has one exit (a five foot bulldozed bank). The cop was sure he had him figuring all he had to do was park in front of the bank and wait him out. My buddy said that after 15 min he was getting cold so he took a 40 foot run at the bank and hit it and jumped over the hood of the cop car and got away. He still wishes he could of taken a picture of the cops face as he was going over the hood of the car. Oh to be young again. :devil:

·
Registered
530 Posts
What about Buffalo NY. last year? or was it 2 years ago? When they got 6 to 7 feet of snow, Lots of sleds in the city that week.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great stories Machzzzz1

Back in 1994 we got hit with a ton of snow near Detroit, MI

I took my Yamaha out and drove to a buddies house in Mt. Clemens. On the way home, I'm on southbound Gratiot (6 lane divided road) at a red light with a police officer two lanes over. He looks at me, I look at me and he waves :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats great. I guess even the cops understand. Sometimes.

My only fear would be to go somewhere only to find the roads plowed and salted on my way back. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts