Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to straighten out my running boards and stiffen them up as well. I've heard that shoving a steel rod into the rolled edge helps straighten out the "banana" bend. But how can I brace them to keep them from rolling down?
       Who has done what and how did it work?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Rocketman just stop doing that crazy freestyle stuff your into and they will stay straight
, but seriously mine are getting a little bend now too so im thinking of getting a set of those yellow supports from ski doo to try, and if i get really creative i might get some steel rods and weld them from under the running boards and up into the tunnel to try to keep them straight, thats one thing i have noticed about ski doos is the weak running boards, i never had banana boards with my polaris sleds in the past.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
rocketman use good tubing in the rolled edge and this will help make them stiffer.I personally like the rox treads(rode kid rockers sled with them last year and loved them) I would spend the money and put them on your zx jwheeler.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How thick of tubing dooman? not solid?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Kid Rockers sled looked really nice with those Rox Treads on it. When I get a sled I am going to keep for a while I want to put those on it. I didnt actually get to ride Kids sled, nit like I would have done anything worse to it than he did lol.
                   Ryan

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Rocketman, the running board already has steel tubing in the rolled edge. I guess put her up on her side and pound away [easy now, be gentle] with a rubber hammer, then get some of those tunnel supports, I like the ones on the Polaris edge's and rivit them in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 27, 2002, 2:21pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want to straighten out my running boards and stiffen them up as well. I've heard that shoving a steel rod into the rolled edge helps straighten out the "banana" bend. But how can I brace them to keep them from rolling down?
       Who has done what and how did it work?[/b][/quote]
Rocketman  For some of our "heavier" customers I have  added support plates with 1/2 inch reinforcement rod formed and welded to them prior to revitting them to the tunnel. Taper the ends of the rods,and after they're painted they're barely noticable.   Good Luck   RB

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rocketman,
 a guy your size should be bolting on 6 inch angle iron but that wouldn't look too good.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
ha ha ha paul that would work.

·
Registered
858 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a guy your size should be bolting on 6 inch angle iron but that wouldn't look too good[/b][/quote]

My brother did just that on his sled, he rivetted a 2' aluminum angle to the boards and it looks pretty good. And you can jump as hard as you want and tunnel doesn't budge.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey Rocket,

You can get alum. angle pretty cheap.  Run some on the inside of the boards.  ( Inside underneath ) You can pop river them in, or bolt them in.  If you go the bolt rouet, sink the heads so it don't reck you Doo wear.  Don't be afraid to get some thick stuff big fella  

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (skidoorider @ Aug. 27, 2002, 5:19pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 27, 2002, 2:21pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want to straighten out my running boards and stiffen them up as well. I've heard that shoving a steel rod into the rolled edge helps straighten out the "banana" bend. But how can I brace them to keep them from rolling down?
Rocketman  For some of our "heavier" customers I have  added support plates with 1/2 inch reinforcement rod formed and welded to them prior to revitting them to the tunnel. Taper the ends of the rods,and after they're painted they're barely noticable.   Good Luck   RB
[/b][/quote]
skidoorider....I don't suppose you have a pic of yoru setup? I'd be interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
 Does anybody know if they make supports for a 98 mach z I have one side that bends a little. Its hard to get the socket on the back rear suspensions bolt

·
4,440 Posts
mikadoo the s chassis has  steel tubing in the rolled edge?I knew some of the zx's did ,mine did not,but the s-chassis sleds I have know idea about never had a problem with mine so I never looked.I was under the impression that only the zx-x sleds had the tubing in the running boards.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I bought my first ski-doo in July and the first time I stood on the running boards I knew I wanted to reinforce them with something. Polaris makes a good stable running board and that's what I was used too. I have ordered a set of the tunnel reinforcements for my 2000 MXZ500, just waiting for them to come in so I can install them. I would suggest a set of these for all ski-doo owners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 99 GT583.  I went to Home Depot and found a grounding rod in the electrical dept.  It was about 8 feet long and was galvanized steel.  Cut it in half and drove it into the rolled edge.  My sled did not have the short piece of tubing inside so I didn't have any problem.  Of course I'm not slamming down hard like a lot of you guys but I weigh about 240.  If your machine has the short tube, remove it first.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
dooman, I assumed all doo's had steel inserts. My 94-96-97 F-chassi's had them and now my 2000 CK-3 does too. Is this just a short tube? You can see it from the front and a magnet picks it up about half way?

·
Registered
86 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 27, 2002, 10:31pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (skidoorider @ Aug. 27, 2002, 5:19pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 27, 2002, 2:21pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want to straighten out my running boards and stiffen them up as well. I've heard that shoving a steel rod into the rolled edge helps straighten out the "banana" bend. But how can I brace them to keep them from rolling down?
[/b][/quote]
skidoorider....I don't suppose you have a pic of yoru setup? I'd be interested in seeing it.[/b][/quote]
Rocketman,  Unfortunately,I never took any pics of the reinforced plates. In all honesty, I only did the mod for 2 customers. A 97 MXZ 440, and a 97 500 Deluxe. Both riders were easily 350+ lbs,and aggressive riders. Both holding up well.    Later   RB

·
4,440 Posts
skip r I would use tubing it is stronger than solid steel bar.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What kind of tubing is already in there? It looks empty to me when I look through from the back  

How do I get it out?
       Also, anyone know the diameter of tubing that will fit inside properly? By my measurements, I think 1/2" will work. What did you guys use?

Last edited by Rocketman at Aug. 29, 2002, 08:52am

1 - 20 of 26 Posts