Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 tcat

all 3 cylinders have i'd say 50% spark, happening 100% of the time. so what i mean is that there's a little red colored spark jumping the gap 100% of the time. occasionally a blue colored spark will jump the gap. i made the gap bigger (up to 60 thou) and had the same behavior.

i disconnected all the plugs and just cranked the engine 2-3 revolutions and watched all 3 plugs giving that red colored spark the whole time. no breaks-constant sparking.

how do i test a crank sensor aka pulse generator? i did a resistance check and it's 193 ohms, but my dealer can't tell me if that means it's good or bad....

how do i test the coils? there are 2 of them, i wouldn't think i'd have 2 bad coils but who knows??

any other thoughts on this would be welcome!

--matt

·
Registered
99 Posts
You had posts on here earlier about synching carbs and using that automotive tool to do it. Maybe something in the carbs still is not right. I had one of those tools to svnch the carbs and threw it away. The engine didn't have enouph vacuum to move the ball consistently. T-cats don't have a huge spark when pulled over and since it is sparking it should run if it has fuel and compression. It only looks like it's sparking all the time because it fires 3 times every plug every revolution The sensor on the flywheel just times the spark it doesn't increase it. Put a little quick start in the cylinders and if it starts to run you'll lnow it's a fuel prob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't think it's a fuel prob. i've cleaned those buggers so many times it's ridiculous. also sprayed down all the carb boots with some ether to see if there were any leaks, and nothin'. vacuum is the same on all cyls. argh this is frustrating

--matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you checked to make sure all your ground wires are tight to the frame and not broken.Will the sled not start and run and thats why your worried about the color of spark?

·
10,054 Posts
I wouldnt spray ether into that motor,,, it will dry up the cylinders (taking the oil away) and cause you nothing but heartaches,,,, not to mention the chance of blowing the top of your piston out. I had that happen to me on an older JD trailfire,,,, the starting fluid was the reason I pulled a piston out with a hole in the top of it....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok here we go. i called several dealers and here's what i got:

"sounds like your coils need replacing"
"your stator's bad"
"your cdi is on the way out"
"well, the manual says to replace the coils"
"never heard of that one" <-------------------------most popular

blahblah blahhhhh. what a bunch of BS, all they want to do is sell you parts.

so i finally got marsh brother's out in dundas, ontario on the phone. he explained the whole system to me, how it works, what components do etc. he really knew his stuff.

ANYWAYS. turns out this sled is supposed to be sparking on all cylinders all the time. it's just what it does. that blue i'm seeing is just a fluke, a rarity, probably just imperfections in the plug, maybe from me gapping it. soooo here i am trying to diagnose a problem that isn't there, with other dealers trying to sell me $788.00 stators for a problem that doesn't exist...nice, huh!! this also tells me that 99% of the dealers out there don't even KNOW how the damn ignition system works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for those that know i had one cylinder running cold. he said i have a fuel issue, and that my ignition system is working just fine. so sure enough, i take another look at that carb on the cold cylinder and i find the choke is sticking on. just barely. like the plunger is haning up less then 1/16". it's the only part of the carb i didn't bother rebuilding. i push the plunger all the way down with my finger and the cylinder fires right up. i took off the pipe on the cylinder to find about 1/2 liter of gas in it, ha. sled back together now and screamin'

so tcat 900, you were on the money about it being a carb issue!

--matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok here we go. i called several dealers and here's what i got:

"sounds like your coils need replacing"
"your stator's bad"
"your cdi is on the way out"
"well, the manual says to replace the coils"
"never heard of that one" <-------------------------most popular

blahblah blahhhhh. what a bunch of BS, all they want to do is sell you parts.

so i finally got marsh brother's out in dundas, ontario on the phone. he explained the whole system to me, how it works, what components do etc. he really knew his stuff.

ANYWAYS. turns out this sled is supposed to be sparking on all cylinders all the time. it's just what it does. that blue i'm seeing is just a fluke, a rarity, probably just imperfections in the plug, maybe from me gapping it. soooo here i am trying to diagnose a problem that isn't there, with other dealers trying to sell me $788.00 stators for a problem that doesn't exist...nice, huh!! this also tells me that 99% of the dealers out there don't even KNOW how the damn ignition system works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for those that know i had one cylinder running cold. he said i have a fuel issue, and that my ignition system is working just fine. so sure enough, i take another look at that carb on the cold cylinder and i find the choke is sticking on. just barely. like the plunger is haning up less then 1/16". it's the only part of the carb i didn't bother rebuilding. i push the plunger all the way down with my finger and the cylinder fires right up. i took off the pipe on the cylinder to find about 1/2 liter of gas in it, ha. sled back together now and screamin'
so tcat 900, you were on the money about it being a carb issue!

--matt[/b]

I had the same problem I bought a rebuilt stator and now its running great

1 - 8 of 8 Posts