Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I already know people with double that milage with no problems in there engine. I think that if skidoo started to see stress cracks appering on one of there engines in that short a time that they would recall the engine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Although I don't speak from my own personal experience, I have read about it
in other forums. Some are welding and machining there 800 piston to fix some
kind of port timing problem. Some have problems at only 1200-1500 miles after
the recall while others have over 3000 miles and say that they have no problems.
If you have to take the top end down, check out you pistons just to be safe.
After all, why would Ski Doo replace bad pistons with more bad pistons? ???

ZIPPAR - Email me and I'll let you know where I'm hearing this so you can
judge for yorself.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If the 800s were going a 1500miles you would have almost all of them in the shop. I know 4 guys that all have 800 twins and dont seem to have a problem at around 2300miles and one guy has 4500miles.

I think that if skidoo realized they were cracking pistons they would recall them again. But I dont think this is the case.

As for extended warrenty. If your sled ran good for 1 year I wouldnt get it. Becasue chances are nothing will happen for the first 3 and if somthing does and its totally skidoos fault (cracked pistons) they might replace them for free anyway.

But I have owned 5 New skidoo sleds since 1998 and know friends that bought them and non of them have ever been for any warrenty work.

I have found over the years of riding that Rotax engine my foul a few plugs, May not be perfectly tuned from factory, but they just keep on going.

Like I said before there probably the best line of 2 stroke engines available in the worlds and they got a great customer service backing them up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Some of them that said they had problems that were starting to rear there ugly
face said they were suprised because there machines were running real well at
the end of the season last year. If you have the chance, check yours out! If you
have a lot of milage you probably should be anyway to see if they're out of
spec. JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT OR LOOK INTO!

Machzzzz1 - Yes I also believe that Rotax is good, but nobody or no company
is flawless or perfect. Just because it has a Ski Doo logo on it doesn't mean
that it's the best thing since sliced bread. There was/is a lot of people not
completely satisfied with thier series III motors. Why are they not performing
the way people expect them to? Why are some starting to weld for three days on
thier pistons and then have them machined just to get them to run better. Why is
there supposedly a significant difference in main jet size on the new onescompaired to last years?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Your friend may still be hearing things from the previous years? Beacuse the skirt breaking problem was very wide spread. Some people may not have heard? (living in a closet?) The true problem to my understanding was too much piston clearance with the orig. 800 piston. I have not heard or seen one single failure since the piston replacement program. :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
This is the first i've heard of this also for skidoo other than their recall
campaign last fall.I have heard of this problem on cat 800 twins and
there was an article on it in sno-tech last season.I had mine apart
at the end of the season after a faulty thermostat caused a major
overheat just to see if there was any damage.The pistons had not
a mark on them and this is after quite a few miles after the recall.This
newer piston design and much smaller jetting on the 03 800 does have
me feeling very bitter towards doo and rotax at this time.But how much
better are these piston mods going to make the sled.As i have several
friends that ride a polaris and cat twins and they all ran together and
it was always a roll of the dice who was going to beat who that day ???

·
Registered
0 Posts
Here's some of what I found. And I don't think that it would be just a marketing
ploy on the part of RKT to sell parts. That would be bad business that could
seriously reck havoc on a company.

I have been speaking with Kelsey at RK Tek and he told me about a piston kit for the 800 Rotax twin. This different piston will solve the problems that are apparent in the stock Elko pistons, like the weak ring and the longevity of the piston (about 1200 miles before stress fractures) He also said that it will yield performance gains. He told me he is putting together a piston/head kit for the 800 twin.

On his advice I had my 800 tore down and the pistons & cylinders miked & checked. I have only around 2000 miles on my 800, and sure as shootin, I have enough wear & the beginnings of fractures, that my mechnaic sez without a doubt I would have had engine failure this season. So Instead of a HUGE repair bill, I'm only out the cost of Kelseys piston package, which is just about the same cost as Ski-Doo replacements, plus, you will still be buying pistons that will eventually fail. I have been told that it's not a question of IF...... But WHEN ! So, doo yourselves a favor and get hold of Kelsey @ RKT........

Kelsey thanks for your patience in helping me get this problem solved!
SLIM

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've just heard about the 800. Supposedly the piston fix (welding) is only
good for the 800 also. Maybe some have just had a good dose of bad luck but
it sounds like it's something worth looking into.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts