Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stripped out the threads (clutch opening bolt) on my secondary while changing my belt. This is the second time it happened. The first time was a warranty job (got new clutch half). This time I'm on my own. I would buy another, but I'm sure it will just strip out again. Can I just run a heli-coil in there, or will it cause the clutch to be out of balance?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Personally, I would tap it the next size bigger, and make a new tool.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've drilled and tapped mine up to a 3/8" bolt and have used this for three seasons now with no problems. Don't think it affected balance as it's near center of clutch.
Hope this helps !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'v repaired several of these using a heil-coil and they work just fine. Balance of the clutch does not change because the material you remove with a thread tape is replaced by the heil-coil.

·
Registered
524 Posts
a heli coil or drilling and tapping for a bigger bolt both work fine, dont wory about balance, the hole is so close to the center of rotation that it wont affect balance either way.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

SWRules

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! You dug this one up from a while back!

For those that have had this problem, idooski's kit will work great. I ended up installing the heli-coil, and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I stripped mine the second year I had the sled. My dealer put in a heli-coil and I've been running it for the past five seasons with no problems. I also wondered if it threw it out of balance but it doesn't seem to.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Stripped the threads on my sons 99 MXZ. Turns out the helix had rusted up after sitting all summer, and when we went to install a new belt in the fall out went the threads. Learned a lesson there!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I have always heli-coiled in the past when I have a problem.however I just got this secondary today from idoski that has been done ,with the kit I assume,and it looks like a much better fix than just a heli-coil. :thumbsup: thanks for the clutch bud

1 - 14 of 14 Posts