Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove a rusted 8mm head stud bolt from an aluminum cylinder...any useful tips.

I let it soak all night in kroil, and its still a no turn.

Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
Head stud or manifold stud?

A head bolt should come out. Manifold studs are sometimes pretty tough. Be patient. Overnight is sometimes not enough. Give it more time. You might try the added heat from a propane torch - nothing too hot. If it breaks, drill small and hopefully drill through it so oil can work from the back. Then increase the hole size until you're almost to threads. Perhaps it will "easy-out." If not, you might have to grind it out with a Dremel. Of course, if it breaks, you could always check the cost of having a machine shop remove it.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Heat...

Hammer ..tap the end of the bolt to loosen it up a bit, it will help separate the aluminum from the steel bolt...

and alot of luck

I just got done re-taping an aluminum rod on the suspension of a 94 skidoo... what a pain in the ###...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Heat it up as hot as you can get it and touch the stud and surrounding area with a piece of wax or a candle. The heat will draw the wax into the threads and provide some lubrication to the stud when your unscrewing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts