Snowmobile World banner

Stud ban

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  performancex 
#1 ·
Stopped in to my Ski Doo dealer to check out delivery info on my 600 Rev and inquired about studing the track... I ride mostly in south central NY (near Binghamton) but also frequent Tug Hill and East Pharsalia area... dealer told me to hold off for a while because he heard that the Tug Hill area may ban the use of studs because of the beating the trails have taken the last few winters. Anybody heard anything about this?

#2 ·
You'd better find out and fight it! A spinning track will do alot more damage than studs. I can only accept stud bans on wooden bridges and even then i think that they should use old rubber tires or some type of rubber to protect the wood during the sledding season.
Caleb

#3 ·
We ride in the Old Forge area and all of us are studded because of the condition here in Mass. If anybody know about no stud in Old Forge and Tug Hill please like us know about it. But I find it hard to believe that it won't happen because the town of Weber cater to the snowmobilers.

#5 ·
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (skidoorev @ Aug. 01, 2002, 8:48pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">because of the beating the trails have taken[/b][/quote]
Even if sleds don't have studs, the trails take a beating. Do they think no studs will mean that the trails will be mint from Friday afternoon until Sunday night? I'd like to hear the "expert(s)" explain their reasoning.

(shaking my head)

#6 ·
once a trail is asphalted you can pretty much kiss it good bye in the next few years.  All the other summer sports will start tearing snowmobiles apart and wont take much to get them kicked off. The only way to really protect the trails is to prevent them from getting pavemented or fight to get a second unpaved trail running along side the pavement. Typically its snowmobile clubs that fight the cities.  i know for a fact that in a town that they've just pavemented the trail that they already told the city that the "big bad ol snowmobilers are just gonna tear it up, and have been giving snowmobilers a bad name........id like to watch the cities economy plumet when they ban em from the trail.

G
#7 ·
Don't you see, the politicians are trying to do away with sledding a piece at a time.  Wait til there are more fatal accidents, then they will see the wrong in there ways.  It is just too bad that more people have to die in sensless accidents because they have nobody else to pic on.  If they put as much effort into fighting drugs this would be alot better world.

#8 ·
I can't see them paving trails in Ontario, but I've heard it is prevalent in Minnesota.

#9 ·
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (revrnd @ Aug. 02, 2002, 10:05am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard it is prevalent in Minnesota.[/b][/quote]
Yes it is.  Especialy in the small Tourist towns.  They are catering to the summer tourists paving trails for rollerbladers and bikers.  What gets me though, is there is one trail in particular(the Heartland Park trail) that was recently paved and banned for studded sledders.  They also have a "horse" trail running along side it that they are now starting to consider banning studs on!
  The heartland trail sucks, but it is a main trail to get to many other trails, so if that happens it will have a hige effect...  The whole thing is rediculous IMO.

#13 ·
We have an old rail trail and last year we could ride this pave trail. But just before the snow fly the ban us from using it. What I think they should ban cars with studed tires from driving on our highway lol. But it is up to us to ban together as snowmobiler and fight for our right to ride.  

#14 ·
What gets me is that 99.9% of these trails were cleared and maintained by the local snowmobile clubs etc before the club could not afford the grooming etc and the state would kick in some grooming money. Than the mountain bikes and Roller bladders etc beg the state to pave these trails for multiple use. The trails than get paved and the sleds are banned if they have traction devices installed Thes are the same sleds and owners that went out and cleared the trails in the first place.  Now in Minn riders have to pay a fee if they want to run studs etc and these fee go towards the trail system maint no matter if it is a paved trail or not..  When are we going to see fees instilled upon the bikers and Roller bladers also for use of the same trails in the summer time? If they are going to charge snowmobilers to use these trails they had better #### well charge the people that use them in the summer time also. On top of all this the sled clubs still go out every year to clean up the trails i.e. clearing fallen loggs repairing bridges etc will the summer hobbiest reap the benefits.  Come on people what is wrong with us? Why do we just bend over and let them applie the K-Y to us. We have to be the ones to start bending them over for once. If it wasn't for the snowmobilers in the first place these trails would not be there.

#15 ·
In MN. the stud fee is charged yearly and goes to "repair the damage caused by studs." What this really means is when a paved trail developes a crack and a rollerbalder trips on it we pay to fix the crack. I guess it would help to point out once you have the stud sticker it is still illegal to ride paved trails

#16 ·
In Ontario, we don't have to deal with paved trails, but other groups are eyeing the network of trails that the OFSC has developed.

On Crown (public) Land there isn't anything the OFSC can do to keep people off the trails. However on private property, after the land use permission expires in the spring, any person, even a hiker, on a snowmobile trail is trespassing.

#17 ·
You know what is even more stupid. Here we have all of these enviornmentalists complaining that sledders are destroying nature and tearing up the land, and then they go and run miles and miles of asphault pavement throught the woods and forests for bikers, bladers and hikers. What are the, idiots!! Tell me what has more impact on an environment than a solidified tar substance!! Somebody needs to get their heads out of their 'keesters."

As far as Tug Hill goes, we have been riding Old Forge, Inlet and Boonesville and Tug Hill for quite sometime. I haven't heard anything about a stud ban, but if Tug Hill wants to commit financial suicide, go ahead. I agree with what someone else said that Old Forge and the Towns of WEBB and INLET, really do cater to snowmobilers, and make for a great weekend or week away.

#19 ·
These areas that are charging stud fees are real hypocrites.  Using their logic, "it's ok to tear the trails up, as long as you pay extra to have it fixed, even though there's no way we can verify that the stud fees adequately pay for the damage that we can't verify they cause."  Don't mean to be negative or critical to any of the communities, but if the snowmobile clubs initiated and maintain the trails, what are the stud fees for?  Not to mention the safety issue of having studs, I'm sure they can't comprehend that.  Maybe I don't understand their point of view since I never ride on paved trails.

#20 ·
It's bad enough running on a trail in low snow conditions. I can't imagine riding on trails that are paved. I wonder how much it costs to pave a mile of trail? When a railline is abandoned a contractor takes up the rail & ties & you have your trail. Weeds & some vegetation will grow so what. Aren't mountain bikes supposed to be able to go on gravel?

Yes it is hard to comprehend what these people in charge are on or up to.  

#21 ·
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When are we going to see fees instilled upon the bikers and Roller bladers also for use of the same trails in the summer time? If they are going to charge snowmobilers to use these trails they had better #### well charge the people that use them in the summer time also.[/b][/quote]

For the paved trail that runs from one end of the Iron Range to the other, there is a permit you are required to buy if you want to  use any wheels on the trail.  How well it is enforced, I don't know.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not to mention the safety issue of having studs,[/b][/quote]

I do seem to remember that when a stud ban bill came upon Jesse Ventura's desk he vetoed it because he recognizes the importance of studs for safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.