Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.   Going to stud my stock 02 mxz 700 this winter and run them down the middle.  I want a little bit of give in the corners and also studs on the outside are the most likely to pull through - so I've heard anyway.  I'll use Woody's Gold Diggers.  They recommend 144 for this engine.  

Should I still run 144 if they're all in the middle?  What pattern do you guys use for middle-only?  thanks

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have a Woody's performance template that has several different options. To run 144 down the middle, I use the 192 pattern, but do not run any on the outside belts.

I have used this pattern on both my MXZ and my XC and like how this setup works.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yellosled, I too am studding a 700 Mxz this year and have been deciding on how to set it up. I recommend doing the middle track. That was the set up for my last sled. an FIII 600. The decision I have made is to go with the double dig pattern from Woody's. Take a look at the Web Site. I am changing from my FIII which I laid out like a Christmas Tree
                               xx
                             x x x
                            xx   xx

my new one is going to look like this.
                          double
                          xx   xx
                           x    x
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If for trail riding, I would stay away from the double diggers. They bend too easy. It is aimed more towards snow cross, where they have no roads to cross, boulders, rocks, etc to worry about.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with 800mxz, a buddy of mine has a 02 mxzx 700 and went with the double diggers. Bent them all to ####, wished he studded it like his old 00 700 up the middle 144   *  **

·
Registered
89 Posts
800MXZ thanks for your comment I will rethink how I am going to stud my track.  When you refer to double diggers are you talking about the bender style(angled backer) or just a double plate?

·
Registered
692 Posts
the key to studding is no overlap! stager them is better
      woodys sells a template for 30 bucks, that would be you best bet

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I refer to the double hole backer, not the Bender plates. Bender plates are a racing only (ice) thing, not meant for the trail, You would have bent and broken stuff all over the place.

The single backers allow each stud to flex with the track. You get pull-thrus because the track bends and the stud doesn't, or vice versa.

For a good trail setup, use the Gold Diggers (good choice) and either steel or Woody's alum. Use no other brand with the Gold Diggers. I recomend steel backers for all but racing, but some people insist on running alum in the woods. Alum will bend, typically lifting one corner, thus making the stud real easy to deflect in the direction of the bent corner, making it that much easier to pull thru.

Honestly, this is my last stud setup I had on my sled, 192 drag picks! They wear the tip off quickly, but they are extremely tough. The race studs are thru hardened, where the carbide ones are case hardened due to soldering in the carbide. Sorry about the babble!

·
Registered
278 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (yellosled @ Sep. 03, 2002, 11:33am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi.   Going to stud my stock 02 mxz 700 this winter and run them down the middle.  I want a little bit of give in the corners and also studs on the outside are the most likely to pull through - so I've heard anyway.  I'll use Woody's Gold Diggers.  They recommend 144 for this engine.  

Should I still run 144 if they're all in the middle?  What pattern do you guys use for middle-only?  thanks[/b][/quote]
Ok here is one for you that works vary well. Go with 128 studs,96 in the mid belt and 32 in the closed wind under you sliders. This is where all the weight of the sled is. You can only do this with Yr 2000 and up doo`s. I have been doing this since 2000. Works the best !  

1 - 11 of 11 Posts