Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 93 indy classic 500, the track has been studded (144) for three seasons now and over the years i have lost about 15 or so, i have removed all the studs from the outer portion of the track and now have 96 all in the center,where the studs that were ripped out , i have holes obviously (some large) my guestion is, should i remove all of them before i have the track come apart orshould it be fine.

I have a spare 1" track with the same problem but only about 6 torn out, and it only has approx 600 miles on it, picked it up from the dealer for nothing, with all the reaning studs still in it. What should i do in this situation, and also how difficult is it to change a track (looks complicated to me)

thanx for any help in advance.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It sounds like your existing track is getting to the point that you may want to either replace it or at least take the studs out.
Not a big deal to change the track just takes some time and goes even that much faster with a spare set of hands to help. For detailed inst.'s you might want to purchase a factory or Hayne's manual just to be sure you get it right.
Rick.

·
Registered
340 Posts
First tip, remove at least 48 of those 144 studs. 144 is WAY too many and is simply beating the crap out of all the suspension components on a 500cc sled. Rule of thumb is approx 1 stud per 1 engine h.p. I kinda doubt that Fuji 500 is cranking 144 hp, LOL. (more like 60) If you have a ripped hole, and it isn't bad, I take a large screwdriver heat it up real hot, and melt and cautarize the hole. Leave the hole empty. Use your judgment, if the rip is on the outside belt, it will probably get worse, and eventually blow the track. Good luck,
Rich K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts