Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stud tearout on the outside of my track on my 97 formula III that I just noticed while putting it away for the year.  It's a complete rip the size of the backer that looks like a "cookie cutter" cut.  I was wondering if that means I am in a need of replacing it for next year, or its fine to run for next year?  If I decide to replace it whats the best route for selecting my next track to minimize the possibility of this occuring again?  (have 2200 miles on the sled) Just kind of trying to plan what needs to be worked on this summer before next year.

Thanks for any info anyone may have-

~Matt

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ran a track once with many tear outs for over 1 year.
By the time I replaced it, I had 70/144 studs left in it.

Only problem I had is I sent one of the studs up through
the heat exchanger.  You shouldn't have a problem
with only 1 stud pulled through. I'd wait until a dozen or
so - or until you know you have a problem like myself.

Short season for most of us..

·
Registered
107 Posts
it all depends on what you do with your sled. Trail drive it lake racign or drag racing.  if all you are doing is trail driving i would not woriwoy about it.  But if you like lake racing i would change it. Two weeks ago i took out my track on the river.  It let go where the stud pulled through.  it up to you

·
Registered
668 Posts
My wifes sled had two studs tear on on the edge.  She rode it the beginning of this year with no problems.  I rode it once and held it wide open, then POW!  there it went!  lucky for me the heat exchangers never got damaged.  The track blew-up right where those two studs pulled through.

If it was my sled, I would replace it before I go on another trip.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
K.  I have a problem with a tear in the middle of my track.  I am going to be replacing it for next season.  I ride a 97' MXZ 440Fan.  I might be putting a bigger motor in too.  What do you guys suggest I buy for a track for next season?  Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
midnight s:  I dont know too much about the clearence you have on that 440. But in my opinion, if you trail ride allot, I think the paddle is the way to go.  I have always ran studs until last year when I purchased a 1.5 paddle.  Now i will never go back!  Yes, It can get a little slippery on the ice, but you get used to it.  For me, 99.9% of the time i am not on the ice.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Skidoomaster~  Thanks!  I was thinking of going with a bigger lug.  I am probably going the route that Rocketman is, that is putting an 800 tripple in it.  Thanks again.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Saw the track come off a guys sled riding in front of me at 85 plus mph..... it's not pretty, and there are no brakes... he had the same thing one stud tear out, and that's where it tore in two.. i'd change the track if it were mine.. thanks DooZ

·
Registered
361 Posts
At the start of this season, I had one pull through on the outside band of my 1" predator track from last winter. It tore a strip off the track in that area within the first 60 miles of this seasons riding. I safely made it home. If I ever stud a track for trail riding again, it will be down the center of the track only as I believe most pull throughs and tears happen on the outside bands of tracks. I would only stud whole track for drag racing. In my opinion, I would look at buying another track and installing for next season to be safe, rather than sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts