Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every post iv ever read says stud down the middle, I plan on putting 144 right down the middle on my MXZ 600. Well all the locals say don't listen to the message boards, they don't live around here, that kind of crap, ect.... Well there reasons for doing a "normal" studding pattern Was u will get more traction and studs just don't pull out from normal riding.(SURE). Also they said if the track isn't completly flat on the ground with an up the middle pattern U will also be loosing traction. Well I NEED SOME BACK UP. Help me defend the board and prove then that there is far more knowledge on the web than ur local dealer. Also it will give me peice of mind that it is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Jacked where doo you live as around here my local doo dealer is the guy who got me too put 144 down the middle. If you put the studs on the sides . You will get more traction due too more weight being displaced there. However hard cornering can tear them out. If you stud in the middle you can still slide through the corners but have more control on ice and braking then no studs.
Alot of it depends on what kind of profile the studs you use have. Just M2C

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Like Permafrost says it has alot to do with how you want to ride if you like sliding some what in the corners then do the middle if you don't then stud right across you will rip out studs if you drive like a moron on rocks and surfaces that can catch a stud all im saying is use a little common sense there I drive the snot out of my sled and haven't ripped one yet I have studs right across 144 in a 700 twin. The other key is having the right amount 144 is plenty for your 600 unless you are going to be SERIOUSLY aggressive ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dealer was the one who reccommended right down the middle. This is the second sled I have done that way, I agree though you do give up a little traction.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I do not run the middle only.I run the regular woodys 144 pattern, inside and outside belts. I think 144 is too many for the 600,thats my opinion.it really depends on riding style and conditions.permafrost,you run deep snow mostly correct?I run on a mix sometimes snowy other times icy.differant conditions,differant opinions.I have been riding studded sleds for about 10 years and have never pulled one out the outer belt.I have seen one come out it hit a drive culvert ,on the gas,when it did.everyone will agree with one thing when it comes to studding ,we all have our own ways.spin as little amount of weight as possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a flatlander here in MN and I prefer studing accross. I've ridden both and I prefer not to slide corners but to hook up like it's on rails. I think it's more a riding style issue then the tear thru issue.
Just my .02.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Premafrost I love in southern NH, We get alot of mixed conditions. I do like to slide in the corners but when it come to launching i dont want to be left in the dust with less traction. The only drag racing ill be doing is just with the boys but they all run an across pattern. I dont wanna choose the straight down the middle pattern if I will get my @$$ beat everytime we line up. So it sounds like for better hook up run studs over the hole track. Correct?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I agree Dooman the less weight you have to spin the better . No need to over stud. Myself personally i haven't and never will stud any machine I ever own but that another story. Ladyk does not spend as musch time in the powder and needed them bad for her 02 mxz 700.

Jacked it sounds like you might want to stud the entire track if you are gonna be dooin lots of dragging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking I will stud entire track. Thanks for everyones help and quick responses.
Justin

·
Registered
211 Posts
I run 120 right down the middle on my '02 700. I have run both in the middle and a traditional pattern. My 700 gets enough bite to lift the skis with no track spin on hard pack. Adding outside studs will not increase traction in a straight line by very much, if at all. You will loose VERY little in the corners. You have said you like to slide a little in the corners, so I would suggest starting with fewer and try how it works. You can always add more, but once you cut holes in your track, it's irreversable. Plus, the added weight of more studs does affect the top end. Just a thought...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts