Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .88 track and am putting in ice picks for 1000' radar runs, was wondering what length i should go with and how many? it's a 97'

Z

·
0 Posts
There are a lot of variables in your question,  but here is what I would do for an average Ice condition.   I have the 97 Mach Z and what worked when I had the .880 lug track for Ice was,   96- Woody's 1.075  Steel Picks and 96 Woody's 1.075 Chisels for Radar Runs.    

If I were going to Drag Race,  I would go up to 144 Chisels and 96 Picks,  but not for 1000 Radar Runs.   Also,  I would probably use 1.200 Studs.    But For 1000' radar runs,   you wouldn't want the extra rotating weight on the track.   It would pull down your top end speed.

Remember when studding to use adequate Tunnel and Bulk head protection.    We custom build our own Tunnel and Bulk head protectors.   Otherwise you could turn your tunnel into a swiss cheese look alike!  

Also, when using these studs,  you have to know that they will not last on the trails.   If you are going to ride this sled on the trails,  then you would need a Carbide trail stud,  if you plan on getting any mileage out of them.   You can ruin picks and Chisels in one mile of trail riding.

Again,  it's hard to make an accurate decision without knowing a lot more information.  But this should be a good start.

ZMachMan

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think for a radar run you should run no less than 192.  You have to figure in the weight ratio also.  240 seemed to slow me down a bit.  I pulled 48 out and it seemed to work alot better.  My MPG came back up.  I use 192 pix in 97 MAch Z.

Just my opinion and trial and error

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
1/2 inch lug Speed track with 1.1 inch studs and lightweight backers. Use more than 192 studs  if have an aggressive clutch initial set up. Lower sled to 2 inches of travel for high speeds and safety. .88 lug will hinder you in top end. Speed tracks can be had new from 350.00 US to $500.00 retail, and are legal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts