Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some feedback from the new Topdog XZP studs?

They make pretty strong claims about durability and the price is cheaper than the woodys by alot. And their stainless steel so you keep them looking good.

woodys traction master - $2.25 + backing plates
Saber topdog xzp - $1.85 including backing plate

I always used the woodys before because of the 1" head but now Saber uses it as well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated - thanks

I'm looking to stud 135 hp, .88 track, 144 down the center belt using a 4 and 2 (not double backers, 2 singles side by side) and 1" studs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have not used the ss studs, but I can tell you that machining it compaired to high carbon steel it is a lot tougher to cut, so I would say they would hold up quite well. I have always used Woodies Gold Diggers, but I think when these need replacement I'll go with the ss. For the price of the Top Dogs I would not think twice about it you could almost buy 2 for 1 compaired to Woodies.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Yes, SS is harder to cut, but due to the nature of the material. It is gummy and likes to snag to tooling. SS is not any tougher than the steel that Woody's uses for the GDs. Think of it like this, to make stainless steel, they have to take away some of the properties that make steel tough, and replace it with properties that keep it from rusting. Unless you get into 500 series stainless, this in the norm.

The Gold Diggers in my opinion the toughest studs in the buissnes as far as carbide goes. As far as the price, you can do better than that. Call Erskine Marine in Hope, Mi. I doubt you will find stds of any brand cheaper. They sell Woody's for not that much more than most places can buy them for.

Stick with the Woody's. I would recomend Stud Boy long before Saber. Not allot of people are happy with Sabre.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts