Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has a 2000 z440es.  I got 72 woody's gold digger studs (.875 I think) at hay days.  I've never studded or neither of us have ridden with studs.  I was going to only get 48 but I got a better deal with 72.  My questions are how many should I put in and what pattern.  The Cat manual says 48 only down the middle.  Woody's recommends 72 spread across the whole track.  She wants studs to help her on ice, no other reasons.  She is NOT very aggresive at all.  A very tamed trail rider only.  If I do 48 I would use the extra 24 for spares, that would not bother me a bit.  What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
First off, if they realy are .875" you aren't going to get squat for penetration even if you are only running a .75" track.  Double check on the stud lenght.  
If all she wants studs for is ice, then 48 studs would most likely be enough if they were closer to 1" in lenght.  At that low of a profile though(if they actualy are .875") I would put them all in and then when it comes time to replace them, go with at least 1".
As for the pattern, just go to woodys website.  They have a very detailed picture of how to fashion your template.  I would stick with a "V" patter down the center.  Take a look at the site and let us know if you have any more questions about a patter to use.  Also, as a rule of thumb they say studs down the center are for acceleration and braking, and studs on the outer belt are for better cornering....

·
Registered
708 Posts
You did not say what size backer plate you are going to use?
but I would run all 72 and if you use stock steel backer plate you should be fine as size goes assuming the track lugs are .750. Also you might want to get a good set of carbide wear bars 4-6" should do the trick. Without good bars the steering steering will be hard.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if she wants themm for ice then i would install all of them if they are only .875.my wife rides with 144.thats only because she does'nt want the back end to move at all.

·
Registered
285 Posts
48 one inch studs is plenty. i run 240 ice picks on my t cat. 144 i think is way too much. nothing personal but he does have a xcr! i'm just playing with you 44xcr800. we all need help on this stuff. i think 48 for packed and 72 for packed or icey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts