Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might just keep the Pantera.. Except this year i would want to stud her. How many studs should i put in.. I would rather have a minimal amount... and if the dealer installed them how much should they be? Thanks guys

·
Registered
199 Posts
For that sled 96 studs would be enough.  You will want to also install 4" or 6" carbide wear bars..

I recommend Studboy for both studs and wear bars..  They last really well and Ron from Studboy is a firstclass guy!!

If the dealer installs then expect to pay $3-4.00 per stud installed.  That includes parts too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If it were mine I would run 96 Woodys down the center with either 6 or 8" carbides depending on your riding style. Too few and you'll be tearin em out and too many you'll be hooked too tight for slidin when ya want to.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would 96 studs be sufficient on the 136" track?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Powderboy, On a 136 track I would go with 108 .875 or 1.00 Woody's. If you are aggressive rider on it you might want to jump to 144. Most dealers charge 1.00 a stud to install plus the cost of the studs. I like the Mega bite studs personally. I got mine for 120.00 for 96 with nuts.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer recommended Excel studs. i forgot to ask how deep. $245.00 for 108 installed. I hope that will be enough. He had Gold diggers for $300.00 installed. Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks guys keep em coming

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, retail is about 257.00 for Gold diggers and aluminum backing plates for 120 of them. (96+24=120). 257.00/120=2.14 a stud. 2.14x108=231.00. 300.00-231.00=69.00 for labor. Studding a track is no picnic. Figure a few hours for it. I personally would go with the Woody's. Don't have any idea how the Excel studs are. If your looking for stainless, Woody's has them also. What kind of riding do you mostly do? Trail? Powder? Aggressive? Touring?

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am told that the excel studs are carbide. The pantera will be an extra sled this year for friends and girlfriends, and occasionally i will ride it aggresively if i need a spare sled. I was never really a stud man till i lost control of the pantera last year on the lake and almost wrecked her. This year everythings getting studs. The sled will mostly be used for touring, once in awhile she'll get up to 90

·
Registered
308 Posts
hi powderboy  good to know you still in here.  I had mine studded at the dealer last dec when I bought my 550  he said put 108 in studs cost 1.45  charged me 3.3 hrs
2 spark plugs 5.00
1 sparkplug cap 3.49
trans lube 5.40
studs 108  156.00
shop labor at 40.00  132.00
came to 301.89
I road abouty 1000 miles last winter all the studs are still in and the sled handled good.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good to hear from you alindazip. Its been a rough road to revovery but i am back in action. Dr says all is in order for riding this year. I bought a ZL 800 SS picked it up this morning shes a beauty. I dont know how i can afford all this sh*t but heck you only live once right. I am glad to hear your response regarding the studs. Its good to have confirmation from all you guys, when its your toy you only want the best for it. I have a little over 1K on the Pantera. It proved to be a great trail sled, although the weight takes some getting used to. How deep are youyr studs? Did you bend any? Thanks

-PowderBoy

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response :( I wish I had more time to sit at the puter but I have to pay for all these toys
also. No I did not bend any of the studs and I know what you mean by the weight takes getting used to
but it is very stable when you do want to go fast through the twistys. I have kept up with some lighter sleds
on some of the trails, one of them you may have ridden it is from cedar pines going toward redfield.
Lets hope there is plenty of snow this winter.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by T_Cat@Sep 24 2002, 10:33 PM
For that sled 96 studs would be enough.  You will want to also install 4" or 6" carbide wear bars..

I recommend Studboy for both studs and wear bars..  They last really well and Ron from Studboy is a firstclass guy!!

If the dealer installs then expect to pay $3-4.00 per stud installed.  That includes parts too.
Tried Stud Boy, they didn't last. :(

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
went with 108 woodies... dealer finished them today... hes going to have to wait for me to get payed though hahaha. I didnt ride to redfield this year.....when i went it was not an option.. logged most of my miles in old forge cruisin around... I was very unstable with the machine the first 100 miles... it was very hard to get used to manuevering it but once i got the hang of it I could keep up with the small rockets in the trails... I was surprised on how the machine responded so well from 20-60.... it really jumps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
interesting I was riding with 5 others when we got to stillwater road it was smooth as glass
Mine would only do 82 on the speedo and I could not keep up with the rest. :cussing:
strange It was (other than part of another trail close to cedar pines) it was the only smooth
place we could find every other trail beat us to death.

Mine would only do 82 on the speedo and I could not keep up with the rest.
it was (other than part of another trail close to cedar pines) it was the only smooth

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did hit stillwater road in late january and it was smooth as glass.... that road is a little too windy to really pin a pantera.... The fastest my speedo touched was 91 from the bowling ally in old forge to right b4 trail one.... a couple of crazies went to go around me and I sqeezed and didnt let go... I caught up with them at the glenmore and they bought me a beer for the effort.... they were in shock to see this little guy tucked behind the windshield of a sled that was 4 times my size hehehe. Dont know how accurate the speedo is but man it can still move for a 600+ pound touring machine..

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My friend has a panther 550 and he has 96 up the middle with good luck. Its a 2000 and its got about 7000km on it and no stud damage.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
he must be a very gently rider then.... i received a lot of messages from people who had the 136" track touring and did not recommend 96 b/c they bent theirs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts