Snowmobile World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in-laws have a sled that is missing half its studs, the half that are in there are rounded, busted, etc.  Is it safe for the track to be ridded on if we remove the remainder studs and use the track with stud holes in it?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
How many studs were originaly in; are all down the center or some on outer belt; are there any bad rips/tears on inner our outer belt?
If the track doesn't look to "chewed" up and mainly you just have the original drilled holes for the studs, you should be fine.  But if you have several tears in the track, then it would be time for a new one most likely.

·
Registered
285 Posts
phazerhater has awesome advice on this subject!!!! if it were me i would replace the track anyway. if the sled, and conditions require it, throw some new studs in. i have seen tracks puke before and it isn't pretty. if all you have are holes and not frayed holes then ride it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can't go wrong with a new track.  It's a clean piece of mind out on the trail also.  You know if the track is going to blow off it's going to be in the most inconvienient place possible.  It never happens in the front yard.  Also it seems to ruin the weekend, especially if you spent alot of money to go on a trip and it take a dump Friday night.  

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, right, new track on a late 80's phazer?  I'd burn the sled before I spent $300 on it.  The track is is average or better condition.

·
Registered
349 Posts
 Take out the ones still ther and ride it out, you have nothing to loose!
If the track is in pretty good shape, put in all new ones if you want to spend the money.
I would not leave them in if they are missing and in poor condition, they may start tearing out and then the track will take a #### faster.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Take them out and ride it, it will be fine, I did exactly this to my 98 FIII and have put 5000 miles on it since and the track looks great, it would be junk by now if it had studs in it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mopar4u, mind me asking how many studs were in it in case I decide to put some in my phazer?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't really know, I would guess 96.  All I know is that half are missing and the other half are rounded or broken.  No offense but this sled is not worth spending any money on so I'm going to yank what is left of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts