Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just studded a low-end sled (95 cougar 550) with 96 picks and
I lost about 10mph on the top side. Is this normal? top rpm is 8200rpm.Thanx fellow sledders. Paul.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It could be your speedo is giving you a truer reading because the track isn't spinning.I never noticed any drop with my sled .

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
(96 studs will never lose more than 2 mph, even on that sled) You have other problems if this truly happened. Was this verified with radar? Your track usually has to be loosened a little because of studding. Maybe your stud pattern was not balanced and track alignment is off, or type of stud fastener is not sunk into track flushlike on inside, and is rubbing on drivers, wheels, or hifax. Also recheck tunnel for stud clearance. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Like Sharkey said..... I lost no more than 2 mph when I studded my last sled with 96 studs.

Also, that sno-machine like that couldnt spin the track after 70mph anyway, so its not track spin.

You may lose 3 mph on that sled MAX.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Maybe you have fuel problems or something. Loosing 10 MPH That is alot. I put 120 picks in my stock track on the ZRT and did not even notice any loss of speed. It Got there faster though. LOL

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've only noticed a 2-3 mph difference but i'll take that over no studs any day of the week.If studs keep you from a crash once i figure they have paid for themself.Figure a $400-$500 insurance deductable or that in parts alone from a minor crash and that is the price on the studs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts