Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i do not know much about studs I want your opinion... To me these studs look like they are sticking out too far above the lug. I asked the dealer about it and he said it wasnt a problem. I know that in 03' cat went to a 1'' lug track in the tourings and since mine is a .75'' i hope they didnt mix them up and give me the wrong ones.... Your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think between 3/8 to 1/2 inch above the lug and you should be ok. Push up on the bottom of your track under the tunnel to make sure your protectors are big enough and the studs don't hit the tunnel. ???

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I dunno, those look way long to me. Its not about penatration but scratch. 1/4 to 3/8 I thought was the acceptable depth beyond the lug. ???

Long studs put way more stress on the track,I would pull those out and swap to shorter ones. IMO

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hard to say from pic...put a tape on 'em and see how far out they stick above the lug...

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the heat exchanger in the front of the tunnel. Make sure the track is tightened properly and there is no contact up there (espesially when letting off the throttle after a high speed spurt).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't know why everyone says they look so long. Maybe its just the pic. But measure them. They look like normal to me from the pic.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
MXZ is right....1/4 to 3/8 of an inch is the recommended length beyond the lug length, providing that doesn't interfere w/the exchangers.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok... slapped the ruler on and the studs stick up 9/16 above the lug... looks like alot

·
Registered
386 Posts
For sure, the longer they are, the easier they will pull out or damage. It has to do with leverage. I personally have studded a few tracks and found for some added bite for trail riding that having the stud protrude 1/8" to 1/4" pat the top of the lug is ok. It really depends on wether you want to replace your track every 2 to 3 years.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Yeah P/B, at that rate your studs are supporting the track more than the lugs are, and the studs will push thier way up through the track. Need to go back to the dealer and have them make it right, whatever it takes, of course at their cost. Since they did this in the first place, they are probably going to tell you that what they did should be OK to avoid having to fix it...but don't give them any slack to squirm. Any article on studs, or any dealer that studs sleds frequently, will tell you that the specs MXZ mentioned are normal, and should not be exceeded.

Good Luck!!

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can I get an article that tells you the max stud height? I cant believe this crap..... and I actually thought i had found a dealer who was decent :cussing:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
P/B, I can fax a copy of it to you if you want. Otherwise I will look at my mags when I get home and give you the issue info. I know SnowTech and SnoGoer have both covered this issue more than once.

Jim

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah fax it over that would be great if you can... I will PM you with my fax number

·
Registered
664 Posts
That really sucks, In a perfect world the dealer would replace them and reinstall them for you for making that mistake. But it's not and I can just imagine the line of s--t he's going to give you. I know what a pain in the a-- it is to put them in too, when you're finished your so happy you're done.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If its wrong I will definetly get on top of him until he budges... I have lots of friends who throw heavy weight $$$ his way. I cant wait for this conversation on Monday morning

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Originally posted by PowderBoy@Nov 8 2002, 09:51 PM
If its wrong I will definetly get on top of him until he budges... I have lots of friends who throw heavy weight $$$ his way. I cant wait for this conversation on Monday morning
PB, Dont go in there with the big chip on your shoulder. Be nice and explain to him your concerns. If he is a jerkoff about it,then its time to turn into Godzilla.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts