Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the thread about people getting injured with their tracks made me think of some things that have happened over the years.

About 20 years ago a bunch of us were bar hopping on sleds. It was after last call and we were all heading back to one guy's house for a party. The lake was the most direct route. One of the guys had a dog sled and was towing it behind his sled. One of the other guys was riding standing up on this dog sled. Of course, everyone was clowning around, the guy driving the sled was weaving back and forth to see if he could knock the guy off the dogsled as they cruised across the lake. Well sure enough, he fell off, and was promptly run over by the guy riding behind him.

They got him to the hospital where he was kept overnight for observation. We were all still at the house partying the next morning when the phone call came in that he had just died from internal injuries.

Sometimes we can learn from others' mistakes? Anyone else got one to share?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Drinking and driving.... you deserve what you get, and we wonder why insurance rates are high on sleds . . .

I hope you at least where helmets

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friends loss Jacqui. We've all done (some cases still do) stupid things. The difference is when we all survive, we don't think twice about it, and when someone is hurt or killed, then we realize how terrible it is. I'll bet you every person that posts "he got what he deserved" on this thread has done something just as stupid, whether it involved drinking or not. But because that person is still alive he/she feels almighty and can throw out those words of judgement. Please think twice people when doing something foolish or trying to pull off a neat stunt.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well said Jim.I know i've done some dumb things in the past as most people have,so just remember that folks before ya get on your soapbox and start preaching ???

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Toadie@Nov 6 2002, 10:25 AM
Drinking and driving.... you deserve what you get, and we wonder why insurance rates are high on sleds . . .

I hope you at least where helmets
As I noted in the post, this was more than 20 years ago. I think most of us were young and stupid at some point.

To put it into perspective as far at the drinking and riding goes, those were the days before MADD, when the cops pulled you over in your car when you'd had too much to drink and told you to make sure you go straight home! Sometimes they'd follow you to make sure you got there. It wasn't considered the "taboo" that is is today. I'm sure there are a few other posters who remember those days! (I can't be the only old one here, can I? ??? )

Times have changed for sure, I just posted this because sometimes we don't realize what can happen when you're out having "too much fun".

Jacqui.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:withstupid:

Been There, Done That. I have done some pretty stupid crap over even my short life. You defintely get smarter as you get older. I hear ya on back in the day. Even though it was before my time, I still know what you are talking about. Sorry to hear about your friend.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well said Jim and point taken jacqui583. Alot of us should feel fortunate that the good Lord spared (spares) us from injury.

A friend of mine hit a tree while riding and was killed. Tragically, all those who knew him got a wake-up call on what the consequences can be for doing something stupid and it's always in the back of my mind. A tragic lesson learned.

Did he deserve what he got? NO WAY!!! Death is a pretty high price for a lesson learned.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry for your loss freind....I guess like you said the only good that can come from somthing like that is that we all can learn from and remember these events the next time we think about stoping at the bar on the trail and getting jucied up, then back to the trails.

I for one can say i've done it and luckly have lived to talk about it...but as we get older, we get wiser.

Then again there are the perfect people to like "Toadie" that i'm sure have never ever done somthing stupid on a sled, car, or bike....next time your upset about insurance rates try looking at yourself as well , as no one is perfect. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gentlemen,

I never said I was perfect and if the post sounds harsh than I apologize, however, driving a machine, any machine while intoxicated is stupid. In case you haven't noticed, it still continues, so if you think I'm up on a soapbox take a look at the statistics. Next time you happen to be out, see how many riders are chugging down beers, or are at the local bar...

While I don't wish anyone death as some have seem to put it, it's a hard lesson to learn but one that you really don't need to have the experience to know... any person knows what drinking does to them and it doesn't matter if it was 20 years ago or today.

Have I done stupid things... sure have, and will probably continue doing them... have I endangered another persons life while doing so... never. I don't know about you but I hate riding at night and wondering if the person coming at me is plastered or not...

·
Registered
346 Posts
To put it into perspective as far at the drinking and riding goes, those were the days before MADD, when the cops pulled you over in your car when you'd had too much to drink and told you to make sure you go straight home! Sometimes they'd follow you to make sure you got there. It wasn't considered the "taboo" that is is today. I'm sure there are a few other posters who remember those days! (I can't be the only old one here, can I? )

My father in law always talks about those times his story goes " I was doing 140 in a Vette convertible with a buddy and in the back was 24 empty Phiffers ( dont know the spelling) and we were both wasted and the cop just followed us home"

Please everyone try and be safe, no more deaths!!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I think all of us can relate to this in some way,loosing a friend or major injuries due to driking. There are many people out there that have lost a friend ,relative,family member etc from driving a sled with a major jag. So, dont drink and drive! I for one am so happy to be out riding,no alcohol needed. I get high from squeezing my throttle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Not to turn this into an attack, but Toadie, your words did sound kind of harsh, and inconsiderate to Jacqui and the deceased. With that said, I find it hard to believe that you have NEVER done anything that might have put someone else's life in jeopardy ... sounds like you ARE saying you're perfect. Heck, that could be just a car-load of guys speeding or racing down the highway...doesn't have to involve alcohol, just the lack of making the best decision for a particular situation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
have I endangered another persons life while doing so... never.
I'm sure your friends and family would suffer greatly though. A death impacts many people. Whats the difference if I was drinking and hit a tree going 30 or you hit a tree at 60 w/o a drop of booze in ya? We were both being stupid but doesn't mean we deserved to die.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What REALLY PISSES ME OFF is when INNOCENT people are hurt or killed because of others stupidity and lack of respect! Call me whatever you all wish, but drinking and driving/riding/operating anything DO NOT MIX PERIOD! I don't really give rats behind what was done in the day when you were younger....Statistics don't lie and when you pull an innocent victim from a wreck ( I am a firefighter) or lose a family member or friend due someone else's irresponsibility you soon realize how DANGEROUS it can be! Not trying to stand on my soap box nor tell others what to do, but don't take others lives into YOUR hands because you could not control yourself!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen...MR. Perfect has entered the fourms.. :withstupid:

Please spare me the sermen on drinking and driving...we've all heard it before, and yes people still do it and it sucks...But I don't think this thread was started so we could yell at each other and pound our chest about how I'm right and your all wrong...I doubt anyone on this site can sit back and point their finger and tell everyone how pi$$ed we get when someone else does somthing stupid....We've all been there..firefighter's included...
Instead of yelling at the next guy how about asking yourself what I can do to make the trails more safe...If everyone takes care of themselves then we don't have to worry about the next guy...In my dreams huh?..yea I guess...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
May I sum this up by saying that hopefully, we can learn from other peoples mistakes, without having to make them ourselves? :(

I would think that those of us who can, understand that drinking and driving (anything) just aren't worth it any more.

God, I've done some stupid stuff.....why I haven't had an experience like Jacqui's is anyones guess.

Watching a somewhat diminished buddy riding around the lake on top of a large Merc outboard, bucking bronco style, at night, one 4th of July back in the sixties comes to mind......

He finally fell off...forward into the boat. It was incredibly funny that night, but the next day we were all shaking our heads in disbelief. I wrote it off as part of growing up,
and blind luck.

AL

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't trying to glorify or glamorize the situation, or justify it for that matter, it's just a situation that happened and sometimes we need a reality check to look at how we're doing things. It's just something to think about.

Frankly, the same thing could have happened without the alcohol being involved. I'll probably get slammed for this one, but sometimes instead of too much alcohol it's a case of too much testosterone! :0: Let's all just be careful out there for the sake of our families.

Jacqui

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree jacqui583, well put :)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Point well-taken Jacqui. It's a shame you can't just mention some-thing like this w/good intentions, without people jumping on thier bandwagons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts