Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to bite the bullet and try out a new suspension, so I bought an AIRWAVE Platinum model with onboard compressor so no tools needed to change settings. My SC10-3 was needing new shocks and general maintenance items, and I wanted a better ride so I upgraded instead.

I have rode an M-10 before and while it wasn't set up for ditchbanging (which I don't do anyways, they were more for the cruiser) it was far more comfortable then the SC10-3. More for the trail rider not snoX wannabe. Reports from people I have talked to that have an airwave this past winter are great. It supposedly does well in the bumps, and washboard stuff and is like riding a couch when needed.

Will be taking pics during the install, which does require a bit of thought, the directions are a bit sketchy for the SC10-3 in some areas, as there are multiple configurations.

Also doing the top end (cudney pistons and rings, cudney head, trail porting) and minor clutch work. Can't wait till next year to see how everything works.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
you will not regret that suspension.thats what my grand touring has and yes its like sitting in your livving room. smooooothh ride no more sore back,or shoulders.you will ride all day and still want to go all night and not feel a thing. great upgrade , good luck with your project.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm considering long tracking my Vector this year and the new AD Boivin plastic suspension has gotten my attention.

That Airwave suspension looks sweet, a bit pricey though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah you got that right James.

The install so far is alot of measuring. The instructions are helping, but could be more detailed. Overall, once you get the jist of the measuring and what is supposed to be happening its not too bad. I am taking lots of pics and will do a step by step for anyone that is interested. There are a few different scenarios for the SC3 as they are mounted a couple of different ways.

Should have it in by next week if I get the time.

·
Registered
443 Posts
how much was it?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got it installed, setup and finishing touches left. thinking about some billet wheels, not real keen on the black. Mounted switch on the bracket for the mobile windshield (which I switched to fixed), and pressure gauge on console.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
Keep posting the pics!! I too am looking at upgrading to the same skid. I am just wondering how the hose from the pump is mounted to the skid to adjust on the fly. My concern is the line getting ripped off from something under the snow. I do venture off trail once in a while pending conditions.

My qoute was $1989 for the Diamond and $250 for them to install it....And I would have to bring it to them from New England. So that $250 goes up with the price of gas....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep posting the pics!! I too am looking at upgrading to the same skid. I am just wondering how the hose from the pump is mounted to the skid to adjust on the fly. My concern is the line getting ripped off from something under the snow. I do venture off trail once in a while pending conditions.

My qoute was $1989 for the Diamond and $250 for them to install it....And I would have to bring it to them from New England. So that $250 goes up with the price of gas....[/b]

I will post the pics of the tubing on the other side tomorrow. It is a good setup, steel braided hose underneath and plastic tubing for the rest. You just need a piece of the outside aluminum running board grips that you could buy for the old ZX chassis. Rivet it in place on the side over top of the tubing and your good to go.

Install was a bit confusing at first, but not too bad once I talked to a few people and saw some pics. I didn't do it all at once, but I would say it took me 12 hrs or so if I worked on it straight. Thats including the thinking it out with a couple beers stage.

Thats the advertised price. Tell them that you saw it in Snowtech mag and it says they have a spring discount special. You should get another hundred or so off.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
some pics of the tubing running to the front. There will be an aluminum piece (for the ZX chassis you could by a non-skid aluminum piece for the round sides of the running boards) over top of that for protection. Had the air shock pumped up last week, seems to work great. Just have to mount the actual compressor under the hood. Have to take out the spare belt holder to make room.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
OK, Those pics make more sense to what I thought the route would be...

I will not be buying till fall....so I'll try the Snowtech Mag thing then. That is where I saw it advertised too...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will try to update this weekend. I have pics of the aluminum piece installed that covers the air line.

only thing left to do is hookup the compressor.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Airwave fully installed now, along with Cudney Head, pistons, rings, and reed spacers, DJ clutch kit, and Slydog Skis. I can't wait to try it...and it looks like tomorrow I might get the chance....calling for 1 foot of snow tonight and tomorrow here.

Thinking about some billet wheels for the suspension...I am not big on the all black ones.

Fired it up today for the first time since the mods....and it ran great.

will try to get a couple more pics up shortly

1 - 20 of 22 Posts