Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to paint my hood vents and ski loops. Check out my pics on the general snowmobile board.

Does anyone have plans for making their sled look perty or perky?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'm not going to make mine look any different, but I did go and spend $500 today on clutch parts and sliders. I'm also going to get my shocks rebuilt and I might put in a 1.25" track.

Can't wait for the snow to fly!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Too many projects on the go.

First I am completely changing the look on my daughters 93 indy 500 classic (wedge style). I have added pink ski-skins, pink rad covers, pink light sheild, I am going to install a white xcr 440 hood (95) and white low profile OEM racing windshield. Pink tail-light cover, Red Holeshot skid plate. Under the hood I have completely restored and detailed the entire engine area - ceramic paint on the exhaust, y-pipe. The engine is very nice and polished. Red NGK wires and caps, yellow belt guard. raised the back end 2". This sled is real pretty - the type we can go on a trip and open the hood for all to see.

My 98 xcr is getting a complete cleaning - engine is out of it. Will paint the pipes. I am looking to get rid of all the rubber hoses and install stainless braided Red hoses with brass 37-1/2 JIC fittings. Will install RED holeshot skidplate. I also want to remove all body bolts and drill the heads + wire tie them. Red idler wheels.
I am also in the process of installing the Tenpa flow on the sled.
If I can find a decent grass track already studded I may race this summer.
And last item - red ski-skins and ski-loops.

I know, I know, I'm a show-off. But hey, I have pride in my stuff and I love to open the hood for show. My daugter will be just like me one day.

·
Registered
300 Posts
madsledhead I have 2 questions for ya:

1) Where did you get the 440 hood?

2)  How much would you pay for a 98 XCR w/ about 2K miles?

Thanks Eric

·
Registered
660 Posts
EGXCR,

I have not got the new hood yet, but the old one is removed. I will probably buy it from one of three salvage yards I like. Either St-Rock sport, Peterborrow salvage, or Midland Indy Salvage. The windshield I will buy from the OEM (Not Flared)
As far as the XCR goes, I love this sled and have spent many,many long days and nights working the problems out of it. This sled was never perfected from the OEM and was discontinued - But it has incredible performance capability if you know how to build engines right.
I would expect to pay a lower cost for this sled than a similar twin of the same year because people don't realize that the motor has so much more potential. The XC 700 of that year got all the attention.
I have no idea what a good price is, I usually buy sled with blown engines. I would not pay more than 3000 CDN for this sled simply because I need to add 1000 CDN into it with aftermarket stuff to make it run at peak trail performance. But believe me, after adding all these it's the ultimate trail machine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 2 projects for the summer are:

Change the '02 Pro X 440 I am buying over blue hood, belly pan, and a different seat cover.

Convert my sons' '02 Edge X 120 over to a Pro X 120 and change the colors to match my '02 Pro X 440.

We will be racing at the N. WI regional snocross events and all our race sleds and support ATv will match. Both Pro X sleds are blue and we run a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO X as our support vehicle and that also is blue. I will post some pictures when it is all finished. Should turn out very sharp!!!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Messin' with the idea of turning my 98 700 XCR into a monster sno stomper. Machine is in near perfect condition with the white hood and corresponding graphics pkg. Problem is it has a ton of miles on it. The motor at 8000 miles or so is still running great, but I don't think I want to trust it for another season, especially if we luck out and get some snow this year...

Thinking cylinders will need to be bored, so why not do it up right with something in the neighborhood of 900cc's? Also poking around for some affordable 800 VES cylinders that need a little TLC with this project in mind. In any case, the motor will be freshened up for next season. We'll see how big it turns out.

All that power is hard to get traction for, so also considering a 136" M-10 suspension and 1.25" track. Madsledhead, or anyone, could use some help there, does anyone know if there is clearance for the 1.25" track in the aggressive chassis? My 800 XCR, running 1.075 studs, has shredded the front exchanger, therefor the concern on the clearance.

AL

·
Registered
660 Posts
Michahicks,

I would be interested to swap testing with you on your 700 xcr. It's basically the same sled except your jugs are 680's. But essentially everything else is the same.  What clutch set-up and weights are you running?
Any changes to get more low end out of it?

I would like to share ideas on these xcr's

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Mad-
My 700 machine is bone stock, but well maintained. The 800 has an M-10 suspension and V Force reeds added, otherwise stock also. The M-10 I would do again (and encourage anyone else to also) the reeds were a waste of money. I run the machines on trails only, racing days ended long ago. A "spirited" ride through the twisties is what gets my blood going nowadays. I've found that over the years it's not worth the aggravation, to me, to try and get the last few percantage points of hp available by messing with jets and clutching. If it won't go fast enough, I just find a sled with a bigger engine... The 800 scares me regularly in stock form, can't get enough traction anyway.

I have a '99 Xtra-10 race suspension that would look good under your daughters machine if you were so inclined ......

AL

·
Registered
171 Posts
This engine is a water craft bottom end converted to a 1187 CC snowmobile engine, I've tore down the entire chassie and rebuilt it to new specs, changed the color scheme and installed my own big wheel kit. I did some modifications to the engine and should pick up 10 Hp. Everthing is like new. The machine weighs about 460 lbs and the engine has been dynoed at 240 HP @ 160 ft lbs torque. A 670 Ski Doo engine weighed 87 lbs and the 1187 engine weighs 102lbs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
adding to my mxz 600
dynoport mod pipe  +6hp
dynoport silencer    +1.5hp
wolfpack reeds     +5-10%
camoplast predator 1inch track
144 golddigger picks
heelclicker supertourquer  clutch kit
mxzx suspension
dial-a-jet
rketek 600cc engine head   +8hp

hoping to get it to around 130hp

·
Registered
918 Posts
I weighed my 670 motor the other day. With Y-pipe and mounting plate still attached and it was 66 pounds. Very cool looking sled you have there though!
               Ryan

Last edited by RNM2399 at July 05, 2002, 12:27pm

·
Registered
4 Posts

yeah, what happens when a polaris owner has to much time & money
??
he adds NOS to it!!!!!!

that's right boys! that's what i added this year, and man does it f**king go!! keep your eyes out for a little black 400, IF YOU CAN!!!!!! lol  (pics to fallow) but not any hints on how it was done!! sorry boys!!!! lol if you's want NOS you'll have to spend the $$$$ and time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think im going to replace the original shox with set of Öhlins shox, all adjustable...

Some of my jump ends up with hard landings...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts