Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on storing my sled outdoors for the winter?  Don't have a shed to put it in so it will have to stay outside for this summer. Any tips to help me out and make life easy for the next season....

Appreciuate any advise...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
IF you are going to store it outside, clean it up good, spray it down with armor all.  Go to walmart,  buy a snowmobile cover and a blue tarp.   Cover the sled then put the tarp over it this will protect it.  If you have a sams club they are selling 10 by 10 and 10 by 20 ,   these are outside storage tents with side walls.  you could erect this and put the sled in there.  i think one was 189.00

·
Registered
546 Posts
Make sure you plug the exhaust so critters, mice or bee's don't build nests in the exhaust system. use steel wool and duct tape to hold the wool in place.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You want to lift the rear so that the track isn't on the ground, takes the pressure off the suspension. I've heard of lifting the front so the front hangs too, but I've never done this..but makes sense ...lifting rear transfers weight to the front. Also, I go out and start it once a month, just to check things over.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Make sure all the plastic is covered ( like the ski's ) The plastic fades ALOT after being out in the sun all summer long.  Make sure you don't screw down the skis to the deck.  The bolts rust in the trailer and hve fun trying to get the sled undone in the fall.  You should look around for and old barn or something.  Usually can store inside a neighbors barn very cheap if not free.  Anything is better then out in the hot sun.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
You can store it at my place...go ahead and keep it there all winter, too.  Just don't look at the odometer!

·
0 Posts
- if its a cat dont worry about it ...JK!  

Last edited by newf at April 25, 2002, 2:51pm

·
Registered
308 Posts
In rural Alaska where I live virtually all machines get stored outside. Often there last spring run included some salty spray from the sea ice as well so they really face some potential problems. Obviously some don't last very long. Here's what some of us do to improve their odds. I'm sure it will work fine whereever you live.

1. Remove, maintain rear suspension including clean off any debris; remove, wipe shafts so they aren't storing water; regrease; check wheels, replace bearings as needed; spray a little aerosol grease on any exposed steel (where there has been wear) such as spring arms. Replace suspension setting the spring tension blocks on their lowest setting and loosening the track or, better yet, store suspension indoors.

2.Add fuel stabilizer to the tank as well as enough injection oil to make a 100:1 mix. Fill injection oil tank completely. Run the engine for a few minutes. Siphon the tank. Restart the engine and run until it quits. Put oil in cylinders and turn engine over slowly several times. Replace plugs securely.

3. Remove belt and  driven clutch; store indoors.  Spray drive clutch with aerosol grease including the sheaves (the trouble it takes to clean it off in the fall is worth the protection it gives the clutch.)

4. Grease any grease fittings. Spray carbs and any other exposed metal, aluminum, zinc or steel with aerosol grease.

5. Paint muffler or spray with aerosol grease.

6. Cut a sheet of plastic large enough to cover entire engine area out beyond the edge of hood. Lay it over everything and close and latch hood. Trim if there's too much sticking out.

7. Grease all shock shafts.

8. Cover the machine for protection from the sun and to keep water away from seams on the seat.

It's not as much trouble as it sounds and it has saved me great headaches in the fall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well a garage would be the best. If you dont have a choice, just make sure to clean it real good. Wipe off any excess dirt,then make sure the  back is off the ground, then put a 6x6 under the skis, so it is off the ground also.Spray the whole machine with WD40 (pipes,carbs,running board, suspension front and back,skis etc..) use armor all on the cab and seat. fill up the tank and put some gas preserver. put some oil in the cylinders. Then you cover it up. once or twice a month i would start it. (if you want after youve started it add a bit more WD40 to the machine just as extra protection.)
I would add a  bit more oil to the cylinders every other time you start it. Hope this helps .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts