Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the rear and front of my sled off the shed floor supported by tie straps from the rafters.....I know the rear bumper is ok but what about supporting it off the ground with the front bumper? Will I damage anything?It seems ok but I thought I would check with you guys to make sure....THANKS!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Put blocks under it front and rear to keep the strain off the suspension and your bumpers, thats what i always doo.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I always find a nice 2x4 to do the job.  Works fine for me.  I use a couple, one for the left, and the other for the right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
how about fogging?? i have heard good and bad but have never fogged my sled yet. i have only seen my bud pull it over forever and go through a couple sets of plugs. Is the protection worth it or can you just dump some oil down the plug holes and get the same affect? or start it once a month?hmmmm

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
All i have ever done is just start it and let it run for a couple of minutes and never had any problems.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use three cinder blocks...... two for the back bumper (lay one on it's side then the other vertical on top of it with a piece of wood 2x4 under the bumper). For the front I use one cinder block under the belly pan behind the rad arms with a piece of wood 2x4 on top of the cinder block (dont want to scratch that new holeshot skid plate).

The sled is up off the floor and is easy to clean and maintain in the off season that way.  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
fogging is putting oil down the cylinders.  And if they used so much that they went through a set of plugs then they used to much. Just spray in the carbs when the engine is running until it is sputtering then shut it down with the kill switch well it is still running but sputtering.  Then pull the plugs and just spray a bit into each cylinder.  

Make sure before you start any of this that you have stable in your gas and dont drain the carbs of gas.  

Thats it and dont fire it up till october and get it all ready.  Then fire it up once a week till there is snow and your ready to ride.  

When you fire it up make sure you let it run a good 5 to 10 min but make sure it doesnt overheat.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Dont listen to him.

Draining the carbs is a resipy for a blown engine next winter.  

Your way better off using stable.

What happens is you cant really drain the carbs.  If you just turn the valves or block the hose you starve the carbs and the engine stalls.  Most of the gas in the float boals is gone but there still is gas in the carb.  Not that much but enough to turn bad and form a sort of goo that could get stuck next season and lean out your engine.  

What you want to do is put stable in your tank and run it for about 10min then fog the engine till it dies right through the carb.  Then pull the plugs and fog the cylinders directly.  

Trustme this is the best way.  I have never needed to clean a carb and never had any trouble with my machines.  It also starts first or second pull in the fall when im getting ready.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I all ways just run my sled out fuel then drain then fuel tank never had a problem been dooing this way for over 25 years.(sleds & outboards)Make sure the carbs are empty!
My main reson for draining is that gas has a shelf life of about 45 days, a fuel stabalizer will stop the fuel from gumming up but wont keep it fresh, it will loose its octain rating as it sits.
Nothing wiil hole a piston quicker than a batch of bad gas.
The other reson is I store my sled in my garge that is under my house for safety reasons its better dry.

If you have to store your sled outside or were moisture is a problen then use a stabalizer and fill your tank, but I would drain and refill with fresh gas before using sled next season.
What ever way you want to doo it , both ways are ok if done properly.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Pouring oil into the cylinders is not fogging an engine Machzzz1, Spraying into the carbs until the sled dies is. Hence the term :fogging". I start my sled and bring it to temperature.  Turn off the gas and let it run until it dies.  Remove the plugs and pour a tablespoon or two of injecter oil into each cylinder and pull it over a couple times with the plugs out to coat everything.  Put the plugs back in, take a plastic baggy and plug the exaust by using rubber bands.  Been doing this almost as long as mr 670 and have never had an engine failure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts