Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does super gas have any bad effects on sleds?
me and my dad ran it last year when the gas stations were having a hard timing getting gas.
my dad said it made his sled run better(he has a 97 indy 500) and i dont know about my sled i wasnt paying attention, but i was wondering if this gas is good or bad for the sleds because we will probably run it again this year.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
OK I`ll bite... what is super gas ?[/b]
I'm not sure on this but I think snowmutt has it........." super gas" I mean. :lmao: :lmao:
[attachment=38316:farting.gif]
j/k carry on guy's.

Snow4

Attachments

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
running a higher octane rating than required will not gain any power, and can have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i mean premium

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont waste your money.[/b]
i dont mind because me and my dad take turns paying for each others gas, what is it a extra dollar or two. just like when gas goes up a few cents, who cares it a couple dollars.

does anyone know what the difference it makes in a sled?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
and its a litte harder to start[/b]
I've never heard that before. Please explain how running a higher than needed octane gasoline will affect starting?

·
Registered
361 Posts
when i bought my sled, the dealer told me it was necessary to run premium in my 800, i cant see why it would hurt other engines though, but i dont really have a clue..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Regular fuel ignites easier and the flame front moves faster under lower compressions than premium fuel. I believe that Snofrog is correct, but I feel that the harder starting wouldn't be noticeable except in extremely cold temps.[/b]

thank you ! and even with colder temps the difference would be minimal ... but still a theoretical difference
now if you have high compression and are advised to run the high octane then by all means do so but you are really just throwing money away on a percieved treat for your sled when regular 87 octane will do in a low compression motor

·
Registered
361 Posts
i know with cars that burning a higher octane limits the amount of build up on critical engine parts, it is cleaner burning or something to that effect. my old explorer use to ping and run like crap unless i put 93 in her.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Do NOT waste money on higher then NEEDED gas

You do NOT gain power with higher octane then what is recommended

It is actually a bit harder on gas as not all the gas is burnt thoroughly

as for dave,if your sled REQUIREs premium run premium

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok now i know, we only used it because thats all we could get at the time and it was same price as regular would have.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
i know with cars that burning a higher octane limits the amount of build up on critical engine parts, it is cleaner burning or something to that effect. my old explorer use to ping and run like crap unless i put 93 in her.[/b]
it is the additives that help clean not the octane .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts