Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They run 400+HP through plastic type engine blocks in car racing. They are super light weight 4 cylinder motors. Why can't that be done to a sled. The only thing I believe would be a prob possibly would be the pipes heating under the hood to much. But I doubt it considering how hot the Metal cylinder sleeves get in the car motors. Does anyone have any info on the car motors like this? Thay were in midgets or something like that I believe.
Caleb

·
Registered
0 Posts
Never heard of a plastic motor but I had interviewed for a
position at a company around here that makes plastic intake
manifolds. I've heard of magnesium cases but I'm sur that's
big bucks for those.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think the last thing I would want is a plastic motor.  It doesnt sound as cool as aluminum or magneziem.

But if they could do it.  Imagine how cheap it would be to make an engine, The price of a sled could go down 2000+ grand.  And how light you could get it.  

But the manufactors would still charge the same and just make more money of the sleds that ill just keep what we got now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Beside with injection molded parts the overall surface
profile toerance would be at least +/-1mm and there would
still have to be some machining involved to get it tighter.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
IM just picturing a black plastic box like a rubbermade container with a seam going right thru the middle.  Not that impressed.  

Sled dogg.  Do you got any pictures.  Im instrested about how a plastic engine would look.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read about them in Circle Track magizine. They were a plastic typr material that had steel where bolts and stuff went. They were cranking out over 400Hp and the tolerances were spot on. They had sleeves in the cylinders also.
Caleb

·
Registered
386 Posts
The technology is there to do a lot of things with sleds that are not currently being done. Imagine a chassis, tunnel, or A-arms made of carbon fibre, lighter, more rigid and could be made any shape imagineable. The current manufacturers seem to be willing to spend money on engineering and R & D as long as it can be manufactured in mass using proven and standard manufacturing practices. It is not a matter of if it can or cannot be done, but a matter of if they can turn a profit doing it.
The largest problem with using a plastic block I think would be that plastic does not displace heat nearly as well as metal.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Right, it's obviously not economically feasible right now or else it would be in production from the big 4.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
caleb any mention of engine life? I have not seen any yet but then again I doubt I will .all classes that I see race have a minimum weight rule and the cars are there now.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually first read about it back in '92 and I've seen/heard it a few times since. for race cars it was how the weight could be distributed that made it better.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I think you would see ceramic first.  Toyata had some proto type kick ### motors in the late 80's that rocked.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I work for a company that builds vehicles for the government and about 4 months ago I was at are R&D facility where they had 3.6 L two stroke motor totally made from nylon 18 plastic.  (I know the material because I am the R&D buyer for protype testing)  It was injected in a mold form and then assemblied together.  I would have to say there was about 50 seperate parts that made just the basic engine up.  All the carbs and reeds were all still metal along with the oil pumps and major line connections.  Anyways, the thing ran great, got about 320 hp out of it, but I guess it would only run for about 1200 hours before it blew-up.  So based on this I think it is really a long way away from coming to anything in production, but its not totally unrealistic.  One of the true factors besides longevity at this point is cost.  We had nearly 150,000 rapped up in nylon 18 and molds just for one motor.  Anyways FYI for all of you.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that in the article that I read they didn't have a 1/10 of that in the motors they were racing. They did sometype of sand casting of existing motor blocks. I can't rememberif they used regular heads though.
Caleb

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you want to see if it will be practical to use in the near future just watch Formula1, right now the are using manesium/beryllium alloy engine blocks and basically the highest tech lightest weight stuff available that is reliable (enough for a race anyways). The technology we need for sleds (Direct Injection) has been used in F1 for a while now but at current is still too pricey for mass production. Yes Direct injection is fast enough for our two strokes, F1 cars routinely turn 19000 rpms so divide that by two (9500 rpm) and this is what you can turn a two stroke and have it work reliably at current. But I do believe we will eventually see "plastic" or composite engines, at least the bulk of their parts. It is just a matter of time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts