Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I did manage to get the new (used) SC10II suspension installed and it was just like some had said, a simple bolt in with the exception of redrilling the rear axle holes out to 1/2 inch. I also put on a Camoplast Predator track. With the sled on the stand I have about 1 inch of slack from track to hyfax.

My problem is that the rear suspension is pretty stiff with hardly any movement when I sit and bounce on the seat. My buddie who I picked the suspension up from said that he liked a stiff ride. How do I tweak it to my liking? I'm not looking to have it ride like a caddie but a little motion seems like it would be more cofortable.

By the way, I put a couple of pictures in my album. Nothing fancy, but I did a bunch of work to it and I am proud of her. :rolleyes: She might not be fancy but she's paid for! :thumbsup: Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hi everyone. I did manage to get the new (used) SC10II suspension installed and it was just like some had said, a simple bolt in with the exception of redrilling the rear axle holes out to 1/2 inch. I also put on a Camoplast Predator track. With the sled on the stand I have about 1 inch of slack from track to hyfax.

My problem is that the rear suspension is pretty stiff with hardly any movement when I sit and bounce on the seat. My buddie who I picked the suspension up from said that he liked a stiff ride. How do I tweak it to my liking? I'm not looking to have it ride like a caddie but a little motion seems like it would be more cofortable.

By the way, I put a couple of pictures in my album. Nothing fancy, but I did a bunch of work to it and I am proud of her. :rolleyes: She might not be fancy but she's paid for! :thumbsup: Thanks for the feedback![/b]

OK you said used , did you go throught it before install? was this off a wreck? When ever you get something used its wise to do a total tear down. You never know what you will find ,i bought a used skid one time and it looked perfect when I bought it but upon a closer look when I was cleaning it up I found the rear swing arm was a little out of wack. DID you pull the axles shafts ? was it greased? if thats all good and it's all good there it might be just the adjustments .

Set up on a sc2 is you should have a little movement in your cupler blocks . The norm is your block should float inbetween the stops when you sit on it . In some cases if you a liteweight(like me ) it wont budge at times .

Check your settings , start out at the lowest first. Gas shocks make a differance too(stiffer) . another thing is alot of the time your skid will be stiff till there's snow inside it for lube agianst the hyfax and track. When a skid is compressed it gets longer and dry friction will hamper it from moving , another is the torsion spring blocks on the rail ,are they wore (egged shaped) this is another dry spot til your in the snow.

Here's another thought .. you drilled new mouting holes, are they in the same location? , if one side is higher/lower than the other it will bind when compressed.

Springs wil have a effect on things too. Pre-load and total spring rate plays a role , did you friend swap out springs at one time?

There's alot of veariables to your ? and if one thing is out of wack it effects everything, hope I gave you some pointers to help you.

mutt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snowmutt, You got it! Man some of you guys know your stuff. Not bad for just reading a post with no background or pictures. That's one of the reasons I became a supporting member earlier today! :lookaround:

One of the coupling blocks was stuck to the rubber stop in the front of it not allowing it to move freely. The other one was turned 90 degrees around with the fat side in the back limiting the range of motion.

I also adjusted the crazy looking thing that the spring rests on to a different position. What is that called? In the attached photo it is the nut a few inches to the upper right of the coupler block. Both sides were set on a the highest setting and I put them at the lowest.

I used a step bit when I drilled those 1/2 inch holes to ensure that they were in fact centered.

This skid is in excellent condition. My buddie is smoewhat of a maintenance freak, so I got a good one. It was used 2 seasons and has 2000 well maintained miles on it. I figure the reason is was "stuck" was because it sat in storage in his garage for about 4 years. Simple problem with a simple fix. It seems to be much better. Thanks again for the feed back!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Those are rebuildable shocks also so if you want them rebuilt and tweaked to your riding style that can be done as well.

Here was my article about the upgrade CLICK

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Glad to hear you joined as a supporting member :thumbsup: , alot of good people @SW.

Also glad I could help. keep it greased and you will be good :wink: .

mutt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts