Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2000 MXZ 700 with precision skis. What would be the best setup for all the suspension adjustments for trail riding. I am approx 200lbs, . I don't really want to waste the first few weekend trying to get the optimal setting.
Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is one of those things that you just have to go out and try different set ups. We all ride alittle different. I set mine up to have more track on the ground, but i tend to go off the beaten path sometimes, and I also like it to be a little softer. I'm 205LBS, my limiter strap is up one hole from stock, front shock is set at the middle and the rear is set on the middle setting on the springs. My sled is a 2000 700 doo.
Good luck!

FZ700

·
Registered
211 Posts
Asking that question is like asking the best way to make more power, everyone will have a different answer. One problem you will have is what has been done to the sled already? Have the shocks been recently rebuilt, or have they ever been re-valved? I noticed that the prior owner replaced the skis with the new dual runner precision skis (an excellent ski). Have they done any other work? The first thing I would do, is have the shocks rebuilt by a quality shop (I use Goodwin Performance, about $30 per shock). If they have never been done, or have not been done in a while, it will make a huge difference in the suspension performance. From there, I would set everything in the middle settings. I like to figure out the ski pressure first, then the rear spring and shock settings, and finally the front shocks. For your weight, most of the settings will tend to be quite firm. If you are finding too much or too little compression or rebound damping, you may want to revalve. If you are bottoming, then try stiffer springs. I have two ZX chassis sleds, one MXZx and one Adreneline. They have completely different set-ups, even in the same chassis. It also depends on what terrain you ride on and how hard you ride. Good Luck...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jiddru,
How often do the shocks have to be rebuilt? Sled only has 1500 miles on it. Other than the skis and studs the sled is stock.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Off the subject real quick boys. What do I have to do w/ my limiter straps to make the ski pressure more. Mine handles so bad right now, it likes to dart constantly, and the skis are too easy to turn, if im on a lake going fast, the skis go EVERYWHERE. (my friends xc 500 stays straight as an arrow), and if im in deep stuff, they go everywhere as well. What do I do w/ the limiter straps??

·
Registered
171 Posts
if your sled is darting so bad you should perhaps begin by checking your front-end alignment (if you have not already)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would have the shocks rebuilt after the first year of riding on a new sled, then about every 1500-2000 miles on your machine. Definately have them done every two years at the longest. Some guys have them done every year to remain in optimum performance. It really does not cost that much.

New sleds should be done after the first year since the shock oil that the factories use is really cheap. Also, the higher the performance sled, or the harder you ride, the more often you should have them done. For most trail riding, every year or once every two is probably good. It really makes a noticable difference, especially if you ride them back to back. Usually, we do it before the season, so it is hard to compare, but I had it done mid-year once, and what a difference!

As for the darting question, I agree to check your alignment and spindle camber. You can pick up an inclinometer at Sears for like $20. Also, what type of skis are you using, what type of carbides are you using, how much do you weigh, what is your riding style, and where do you have the limiters set now?

·
Registered
692 Posts
sled crazy check you toe! it is not you limiter strap that is if it does it in the shoft!
i played with that strap when i had a problem keeping the skies on the snow, with that strap i think i pulled it all the way down?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the same sled, 2000 mxz 700. I have the shocks rebuilt every season. It's definitely worth it. I had a chance to ride my sled early last year and then had the shocks rebuilt-huge difference. I also weigh about 200lbs. I keep the rear shock on the second softest setting and increase the tension on the springs as the season progresses because the shocks weaken up a bit. By the end of the year I'm on the stiffest setting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts