Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres my 3 questions:
1.- at the races why do the fumes smell so different ... is it just the oil or high rated gas? i too have a race sled and cant understand why my sled fumes desnt smell like that?

2.- why do some sleds have an extreemly, loud pingy-tingy sound ...someone told me it was an expansion chamber.. however no one i talk to can seem to tell me where i can get  one... i can find ones for motorcycles but not for sleds, if its not an expansion chamber is it jsut some exhast system? can someone please help me find what it is and where i can find one

3.- my rear suspension seems like its in great conditin, but i feel i ride low when compared to other sleds... so is the only way to "raise up" to put in a new suspension? my conern comes b/c i plan to do some racing ..thus neeing a good rear suspension and its a ridefx shock in there now .. can i jsut get a different shock to increase travel height?- if itll help ill post a pic

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I used to notice the "smell" at the oval races in Peterboro. I have heard it is the gas. I've never really noticed it at snow X races.

With the race sleds, they won't have any insulation on the pipes & the pipes may be made of a lighter gauge sheet metal. This would probably cause the exhaust to sound "tinny". To the experts on the forum, would port timing affect the exhaust note as well?

To raise your sled, you might be able to drill mounting below the existing holes. Just remember to drill all the holes the same distance down.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Don't raise your ride height unless it gives you a corresponding increase in suspension travel.  Lower is always better.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I would second that too. The seat on my '95 MXZ 440 was lower than the one on my '98 MXZ 500. The 500 felt tippier than the 440. I myself, would leave the ride height alone. Maybe, depending on your sled & track/tunnel clearance, you could lower the sled. Post what your sled is & ask if the rear suspension can be lowered.

·
Registered
94 Posts
belive it or not but Castrol oil makes a synthetic oil  for racing ,if you put 1once per 5gal it will give you the same smell as race fuel. It is really $$$30.00 US a quart. I use to run it in my bike to give me that smell of race gas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the exhaust small is mostly caused by high octane race gas.  but it can also be caused by the oil.  the exhaust sound I think is caused because of the loud race silencers, it is just the sound the motor makes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your smelling race gas. The best you can do for a stock sled is to run Klotz TCW3 oil in your sled. It will give you a slight "racy" smell. Plus it is very good oil!

Z

·
0 Posts
I am not sure what races you are referring too,  but your probably smelling C-14 Race Fuel with whatever oil the team is using.   I like C-14 with Bombardier Blizzard Oil myself.  

If you go the the local stock car races,  you can usually find the same smell from the Modifieds or Outlaw cars.

The loud "Pinging" sound you hear from the pipes is nothing more than good old High Compression!   When the Rings lower to the exhaust and the Blast of High Compression shoots towards the pipes,  you hear it in the fashion of a loud Ping!   Nothing sounds better than a good 15.5/1 Compression Ratio.

As far as your suspension.  I don't have enough information to comment about that.

ZMachMan

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
c-14, is that the vp 114 octane?I think that is what we ran in our altered drag car(super comp 8.90 index).man miss that smell,we run alky in the sprints that burns the eyes ,not smell good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts