Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,I know a lot of your guys are working on projects wit your Yami's, So I figured I would ask if anyone's ever done this.....My dad bought a rear suspension out of a 99 yami,that was crashed and he is going to put it in my sled, 1987 V-max. He sized it up last year but never got to it,now he got an SRX and I have the v-max. The tunnel is 16" and the new Yamahas are 16.5" so we have to trim it a little,has anyone ever done anything like this????I would like to hear what kind of projects you guys/girls have done....Thanks

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Ah, yes. I just got my skid in and tensioned and rode it around the yard wednesday nite and this morning a bit. 2.1 miles so far this season!
Anyhow, I've got an '86 Phazer, and I put the skid from a '98 ZR in it. I measured the Phazer tunnel at 15 7/8, and the cat skid was 16 1/2 or so (can't remember the dimension right now). Anyhow, I had to cut a bit off each side of the upper part of the front arm (so it would fit inside the tunnel). I left the rear alone, since I had to relocate the brackets anyway. I had new brackets made, and mounted them spaced wider than the tunnel on the underside of the footrests. That Phazer had a 116" track, and I put on a new 121" with the cat skid, so I also had to relocate the front mounting holes. At the front location I also added a 3/16" aluminum plate to each side as a tunnel strengthener (since the original holes were ovalled out, the tunnel material obviously isn't thick enough.) I'm putting together a homepage to detail the whole project. I'll have the page done sometime in the next couple weeks. Email me or PM me or reply here or something if you have any questions or need more details.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds awesome man...wish I could get a Arctic rear skid (ETT) for my sled. But I have the yami skid,it's better than nothin.I can see throuh the smoke and from what i can see it looks awesome.I also have to cut some material off the front arm,I'll get pics when we finish.I can't wait to get it in there and then test it!!!It will be so much fun,not bottoming all the time,let us all know when u get the site done,I'd be intrested in seein more pics. I think it's cool how you put a skid from Arctic Cat in your phazer :) Thanks for the pics!! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I cant beleive you would run cat parts on yamaha, what a disgrace! :D I bet she rides way better then the old skid :p

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by hauler@Nov 17 2002, 11:42 AM
I cant beleive you would run cat parts on yamaha, what a disgrace! :D I bet she rides way better then the old skid :p
Yeeah, now it's my Yamamutt. Besides the Cat skid, it's got skidoo skis.

Rides great. Tippier, though, because, obviously, it sits higher.

I would've put in an M-10, could've gotten one real cheap. But even an unbelievable price on an M-10 was out of my price range.

Boy, does that thing cover your back in snow now. Flap is way too short for how high it sits. Have to extend it. I'm thinking of pulling two of the Harley mud flaps off my car (yesterday my car decided to retire--anyone need Beretta parts?) and using them for a flap extension.

Yamamutt.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
There was no smoke problem (it's always that smokey-crap Injex)--just an idle problem. I adjusted the screw on the carb end of the throttle cable, and that fixed it. Don't know what happened (cable shrunk maybe?), but it's OK now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts