Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered but, I want to upgrade the xtra 10 in my ultra but I also want the rear up a little higher, any suggestions on a good rear skid?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so to do the swap will i have to drill new mounting holes? And if so what are the dimensions? Thanks for the fast reply

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Jerry's dimensions are spot on, have been used to do more Edge conversions than you'd believe.

The problem with doing an Ultra is getting the front end up a little, with a little more travel than it has stock. I'm not usually one to recommend a different/competing web site for any reason, but here it just makes sense because ther's so much material available on this topic. Suggest you try a few searches at:

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Look under XC/XCR

You should see plenty by both myself, jbshocks, and a few others who have been there, done that. We covered a lot of country last winter with a guy that had a Storm that should apply directly to you.....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
there really is two ways of getting the front up higher, first get longer shocks, not always the easiest things to find put maybe and edge pair i dont know how long xrta 10 shocks are up front. your second it to figure out a way to raise the mounting location on your ski. i have dont this on a pair of kimpex skis in the past with 2 aluminium 3/4 by 4 by 8 blocks with mounting locations drilled out and two large wholes in the center to get ride of more wieght. its works well, its on my 96 xcr 440sp i had that i put drop brackets on and recolated the rear susepnsion. then i raised the front to match better. the sled handle and jumps twice as good now but i never really ride it. as for the edge swap its not to hard you just have to do its slow and make sure all your measurements are right before you start drilling whole or youl be screwed. does your ultra have and xtra 10 up front or the xtra 12. youd probably be ok with the xtra 12 up front and not have to add anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has the xtra 10 up front. Would it be better to put xtra 12 trailing arms and shocks on it to raise the front?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK im confused will the xtra 10 in the front be good enough for the edge rear? Or, should I put the edge in the rear and the xtra 12 in the front? Or can I get away with using longer shocks in the front?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
OK im confused will the xtra 10 in the front be good enough for the edge rear? Or, should I put the edge in the rear and the xtra 12 in the front? Or can I get away with using longer shocks in the front?[/b]
i would recommend just a little longer shocks on the front if you are using this as an aggressive sled. the angle on the 10 or better then the 12 for hard riding, if its a trial sled an all new 12 front end would be nice but hard to find.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I didn't notice you were on a 97 earlier, is that correct? It has the CRC front end?

About how long are the shocks with the front end off the ground/extended? If they are in the 15" - 16" range, the later GenII and Edge shocks will fit right on it. Betting that's the case. Or has somebody done that allready? Does it have the black Indy select (junk), or Fox shocks on it? Just sold a set of RydeFX from an '03 Edge that would have been perfect this afternoon. Doubt you'll have any trouble with that front end. Go for it....sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I didn't notice you were on a 97 earlier, is that correct? It has the CRC front end?

About how long are the shocks with the front end off the ground/extended? If they are in the 15" - 16" range, the later GenII and Edge shocks will fit right on it. Betting that's the case. Or has somebody done that allready? Does it have the black Indy select (junk), or Fox shocks on it? Just sold a set of RydeFX from an '03 Edge that would have been perfect this afternoon. Doubt you'll have any trouble with that front end. Go for it....sounds like a fun project.[/b]
i was thinking the same thing as for edge shocks up front. its been a while but i think they are around the 15.5 area and and edge being 16.375 it would be perfect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a complete skid out of my Fusion 600 HO that I am selling that would be a huge upgrade.

[attachment=39001:skid.jpg]

$500 complete shocks were rebuilt 1500 miles ago and they were mostly powder miles.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Paul, do you have the mounting dimensions for that skid? I'm not interested in it personally, but those dims. are not available online yet to my knowledge. Whoever buys it will likely need them. I'm sure they'd prove usefull before too long as more of these IQ/Fusion skids become available? Thanks, -Al

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paul, do you have the mounting dimensions for that skid? I'm not interested in it personally, but those dims. are not available online yet to my knowledge. Whoever buys it will likely need them. I'm sure they'd prove usefull before too long as more of these IQ/Fusion skids become available? Thanks, -Al[/b]
I don't but I can get them from a buddy who still has a Fusion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna scrap the edge suspension idea not enough funds. I did however find these brackets and they seem like they would do the job, but how do they work besides the obvious? Do I have to move the suspension forward, backwards, front hole down ect...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Lowering the rear of the sled with a set of brackets like that is just about the worst thing you could do to the handling of that sled. All else being equal, you'll be carrying all the weight of the sled on the skis and rear of the skid. The front of the skid will be carrying exactly...nothing. Now, let's say you lower the front of the skid as part of the project, and figure out right where to put it to spread the weight out evenly front/center/rear. The approach angle (the angle the front of the track coming down off the drivers, going to the radiused part at the front of the skid) has been increased dramatically, slowing the sled, and making it more difficult for it to get on top of the deep stuff. Raising the back of the sled not a move I'd recommend at all. FWIW

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I give up, I put it in the local classifieds to see if I can get something for it, if it sells then I'll probably get another sled. Thanks for all the replys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts