Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Polaris Fans...
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else, and have been thinking about it for a while now. I'm wondering if anyone has set an Edge suspension alongside an Xtra-10 looking at the potential to update the Xtra? The rails look to be the same, or very similar, as do the shock locations. It would appear that most of the differences appear to be in the arms. The scissor arm components appear that they might even be the same, as do a lot of the other components.

I was thinking that it might be worth the money to update the older suspension with a few new parts to gain a lot of performance on the bucks spent for bang received concept. When faced with the price of an M-10 to do the same, wondering if it might not be a few hundred bucks cheaper to update the amount of travel in the Xtra-10 by adding some Edge arm components.

I'm already a big M-10 fan, so nobody needs to tell me how nice they are. Willing to suffer with a poor mans Edge to save,
if I'm right, better than half the price of a new or even refurbed M-10!

Have a spotless 98 700XCR to try the idea out on.

Any thoughts anyone?

AL

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Anything is possible.  I'd say try it out, perfect it, then sell the instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nobody has done this, then I guess I'll give it a shot...
Wondering if I might trouble someone with an Edge suspension
to get a couple dimensions, should be pretty easy.

Would like to know the length of the front arm. If someone would measure from the bottom of the front cross shaft to the center of the bottom bolt, that would be great.

The second dimension I think I'll need, is the distance between the front and rear suspension mounting bolts on the tunnel

After that I think I can take it from there. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
AL

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just found this site. Hope this helps. When comparing suspensions I've found that true vertical travel between the edge and xc-10 isn't very much. The suspensions that I looked at were at a polaris show. They listed suspension travel vertically. Manufacturers are starting to become a bit more vague about rear axle travel vs vertical travel.
Maybe about an inch different. The edge skid
seems to be much beefier so It would take more abuse. You could spend the money, but only if you jump, ALOT! Trust me on this one I know what kind of abuse an xc-10 will take.
I don't know if your 700xcr came with a pps shock but if it didn't it would be a worthy expense. Have fun manhandling it on the trails, heard they were heavy in the front end.
Keep it between the trees.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would say wait till the second weekend of sept and make a trip to Lino Lakes Minn and pick up an edge skid there. there are alot of things dif between the xc10 and the edge even the rails are dif if you were to look real close plus by the time you buy the parts to convert the xc10 to an edge style would be more than what you could pickup a complete edge skid for a Haydays. As far as the pps shock if you ride hard and love to jump etc stay away from it unless you have the stage III kit installed in it, because it will bottom very hard and your back will hate you for it. This come from personal experience and from being a Polaris dealer/certified star tech.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas guys. I left this post quite a while ago and have since come to the same conclusion regarding updating the Extra-10. Now in the process of looking for a good price on either the M-10 or the Edge.

The XCR/M-10 can be driven very aggressively in the twisties. Seems still nailed down far faster than I like to drive... for any distance, anyway
Manhandling? No, not hardly.

AL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts