Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why the sno pros don't have sway bars and the firecats do. Same witrh the mountain cats, they dont have sway bars and the zr's do, is it just a weight thing? or somthing about the agility of the sled?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a brand new mountian cat and mine dosen't have it either, I think it is just a wieght thing on the mountian cats and on the sno pros they don't really nead it for snox

·
Registered
430 Posts
Having or not having sway bars has nothing to do with weight. They have everything to
do with handling.
A snocross machine does not use them because of the handling characteristics of the machine.
Snocross machines don't care about roll and a stable ride because they are not racking up mile after mile. They let the spring and shock rates do the work.
Many riders have different opinions about this subject but ultimately a swaybar does not have a significant effect on weight to answer your question.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a 2002 mountain 600 EFI LE and it came with a sway bar.  

Rode it both with and without and just left it off.  For the type of riding I do its more of a balance thing and I like each side working completely independently.  It probably weighs 2-3 pounds.

Just about everybody that rides in the mountains where I live takes them off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When yiu get a 2002 sno pro it comes with the sway bar off its up to you to put it on.  lake racers run with them on  most snow crossers dont

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tryed it on & off & decided to leave it off.I prefer the way the front end act over rough terrain without it.When I had it on the front end seemed "tied" together to much.

Also when jumping you dont want a swaybar.If you land off onto one side you will get thrown off if you have a swaybar.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
ok.   my brother in law who races for cat says," if you have a sway bar you do not have independent front suspension. because the sway bar does not let each side function indepently.  if there is a bump on the left ski and not on the right ,  it makes the right ski react to the bump on the left.  there is some flex,  but it will affect the sled.  id does not affect the turning of the sled unless you are on an ice oval or such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I race and the reason we don't use them is because when you land a jump one one ski first having a swaybar can through you off.  If you take off the sway bar it will corect you more slowly and not through you

·
Registered
138 Posts
I took it off my ZL580. It handled better after it came off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts