Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
Ive been trying to find snowmobile rewievs, tests and so on regarding crossoverness for a few sleds, and compared with each other. Im talking about sleds like Switchback, Renegade, Crossfire and Firecat EXT. Wich one is best when it comes to pounding the snow without having to dig it out too much. What I have noticed is that the Switchback (prior to 08) and the firecat got 144" tracks when the Gade and Crossfire only got a 136". How does that affect?
Let me know your opinion - wich one is the best in snow?

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
makes them longer and harder in the twisties. Now look at the width, xfire is what 15? the switch is 15. overall paddle to snow is very similiar.

never rode any of them but I like the 16x136 track for flatland deep powder applications. If I were going to try and high mark I would think poo.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The longer the track the harder to turn. Ski Doo's Renegade changed there track from a 136-15 to a 136-16 in 2005 models & up. The 136-16 footprint is the same as a 144-15. It still turns like a 136 but hooks up like a 144 :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It isn't the track length that does it. It is the length of the spindles of the skis to the rear idler.

Crossfires actually have the chaincase and drivers moved FORWARD to get the length.

A Crossfire (mine at least) is only about 2" longer from the ski spindle to the rear idler when compared to a ZR or Firecat chassis sled.

The effect on turning is virtually un-noticeable, and length of a Crossfire compared to that of the "standard" length F series (spindle to rear idler) is less than 2". The overall length of the sleds are 6" different, but that is measured ski tip to bumper, and neither of those parts have anything to do with anything except how they fit in a trailer.

Other designs (such as that of the 136" Polaris and the Ski Doos) take a std length sled and make it longer. To go to the 136" track length almost 10" in length is added to achieve this. Matter of fact, my 06 XF-700 is SHORTER that a friends 06" Rev 800 121" sled. It is close, but it is shorter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 06 cross fire 7. had an f-7 before it and the cross fire is probably better on the trails then the f and much better off trail. you dont sacrifice anything as far as handling and ride quality. The crossfire has been a fun reliable sled.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The 144" Switchback is basically an RMK you can use on the trails. The new 136" is an IQ you can run in deeper snow.
Depending on where you live the change may or may not be for the better, but in theory the 136" coupled skid will be better in the bumps and on the trails.

As for all the talk of turning, length of track, Renagade vs Switchback, yada, yada, yada, most of it is simply looking at the numbers and coming to logical conclusions. Set-up will have a much bigger affect then 8" of additional track. Pull in the limiter strap and you'd be amazed at how you can make a 144" track, with dual angle-rails, turn in the trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts