Snowmobile World banner

Switching oil

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  permafrost 
#1 ·
I am switching from castrol Conventional oil to bombardier synthetic oil and i have about 3" of castrol left in my bottle and was wondering is that low enough to fill it up with synthetic, because i know its not a wise idea to mix conventional with synthetic.

See less See more
#2 ·
It would probably be okay, but I guess you never know.

I changed from Bombardier oil to Klotz this weekend (let me add that I love the smell), and I was able to get almost all of my oil out by syphoning (spelling?) it.  I had almost 2 quarts left in the tank and it took about an hour and a half to drain out.  

There are deffinatly easier ways to get it out though.

-Josh

#4 ·
Just run the oil down low and pour the synthetic right on top,  It will mix well.  As far as oil choices, I would go with any other brand over Ski-doo.  It just plain stinks!  I finally talked my buddy into switching, it would burn my eyes.

#5 ·
I had a post some time back on this and I e-mailed a guy from klotz on this. His reply was, you can mix any petro. based oils with synthetic.... I was going from klotz to yamalube and it mixed fine, just run it down then add.
You could do like I did and mix the two together in an old butter bowl [just a few teaspoons] and see what happens. If it balls or jells up you will have to COMPLETLY drain the whole system.

#6 ·
I ran polaris reg. in my sled for a few yrs and recently switched to amsoil synthetic. i had a bit of the polaris stuff left in the tank and poured the amsoil right over it..no problems. fyi..my sled runs cleaner and smoother w/ amsoil synthetic. $17.40 a gallon from their website!

#7 ·
Jwheeler.  The funny thing is that castrol is bombardier oil.  Castrol makes the stuff for bombardier.  The only diffrence is that bombardiers oil has a few things in it to help keep the valves clean.  

Go to castol syntec and dont worry about how much oil is in the tank just start using the other one and only fill up with that one from that point on.  

Castol syntec has the best smell in my books.  Smell just like a Cart or F1 car.  I like it better then klotz.

#8 ·
Is there anyone that gets sick from the ski-doo oil?  Couple times now after a trip I have got cramps and stomach pains.  I think I am switching to Amsoil.

#9 ·
I used the doo synthetic oil a couple of years ago and it came down to the fact that everyone refused to ride with me. That stuff smells so bad. People were getting headaches feeling nauseous and getting resin on there contact lenses.  Even my wife wouldn't ride with me. I switched to the shell synthetic and it was much better but they raised the price this year to 38 bucks-No way.  I became an amsoil dealer and now get it for cost 22 bucks a jug. It only cost me 40 bucks to become an Amsoil dealer and made it back on savings on the first case( 4x4L). The Amoils smells so nice compared to any Doo oil. My sled is burning cleaner now and definately has a more crisp throttle response. I waited till i was down to below a 1/4 tank of oil(bombi reg) and then just poured the Amsoil in. Put a thousand kliks on it in cochrane at -35 with no problems.  I have never tried the klotz but i have only heard good things about it, sweet smelling and good pour temps. Do yourself and your riding buds a big favour, stay clear of that bombi synth sludge.

#11 ·
Did you get a preffered customer account or join as a dealer. Its a little more to be a dealer, thats probably the price difference . I was refering to canuck bucks too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.