Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this at an auction, got it home, key wouldn't turn, so son decided to break key. Now have purchased a new ignition switch but don't know how to get the old one off. Anyone out there that can help?????????????????????? WE GOT SNOW AND I WANNA PLAY BUT CAN'T~~~~~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought this at an auction, got it home, key wouldn't turn, so son decided to break key. Now have purchased a new ignition switch but don't know how to get the old one off. Anyone out there that can help?????????????????????? WE GOT SNOW AND I WANNA PLAY BUT CAN'T~~~~~[/b]
I have never replaced one on a sled before, but ignition keys for boats and other toys typically have a nut on the back and a lock washer and some will have the lock nut on the front and a cover or boot that keeps the weather out... Your new one should have this on it. If you include a pic of your new one it may help us to determine how. Wiring usually is plug type connector and sometimes they have a nut and bolt. Ensure that you have the proper switch first. Some are momentary contact single throw and others are single throw, on off switches, and others have accessory positions. It is important to select the right switch as you don't want the starter rotating when the engine is already running and the easiest solution is to match the igniton sytem you have. If you don't have a response soon I can take a look at how my formula key is installed and get back to you. If your question is how to access it, Ibelieve that you need to remove the three torx or hex screws on the top the dash Good luck!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
unplug it and ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for your reply! I actually just sucked it up and went out and figured it out! Not bad for a girl huh?LOL I do have another question though. Is it possible and/or how expensive is it to get electric start???? I can't get it to kick over.

I have never replaced one on a sled before, but ignition keys for boats and other toys typically have a nut on the back and a lock washer and some will have the lock nut on the front and a cover or boot that keeps the weather out... Your new one should have this on it. If you include a pic of your new one it may help us to determine how. Wiring usually is plug type connector and sometimes they have a nut and bolt. Ensure that you have the proper switch first. Some are momentary contact single throw and others are single throw, on off switches, and others have accessory positions. It is important to select the right switch as you don't want the starter rotating when the engine is already running and the easiest solution is to match the igniton sytem you have. If you don't have a response soon I can take a look at how my formula key is installed and get back to you. If your question is how to access it, Ibelieve that you need to remove the three torx or hex screws on the top the dash Good luck![/b]

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Thanx for your reply! I actually just sucked it up and went out and figured it out! Not bad for a girl huh?LOL I do have another question though. Is it possible and/or how expensive is it to get electric start???? I can't get it to kick over.[/b]
the kit for my sled is 500 bucks from doo. I am sure it is not much differant for that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK......so any clue how to recoil a starter rope? Mine was frayed and I bought a new rope but don't know how to recoil it??????????????

I have never replaced one on a sled before, but ignition keys for boats and other toys typically have a nut on the back and a lock washer and some will have the lock nut on the front and a cover or boot that keeps the weather out... Your new one should have this on it. If you include a pic of your new one it may help us to determine how. Wiring usually is plug type connector and sometimes they have a nut and bolt. Ensure that you have the proper switch first. Some are momentary contact single throw and others are single throw, on off switches, and others have accessory positions. It is important to select the right switch as you don't want the starter rotating when the engine is already running and the easiest solution is to match the igniton sytem you have. If you don't have a response soon I can take a look at how my formula key is installed and get back to you. If your question is how to access it, Ibelieve that you need to remove the three torx or hex screws on the top the dash Good luck![/b]

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Here you go...everything you wanted to know about the wonderful world of recoil starters but were afraid to ask !!!

[attachment=40989:recoil_repair.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK......so any clue how to recoil a starter rope? Mine was frayed and I bought a new rope but don't know how to recoil it??????????????[/b]
Hey I just recoiled mine on a mxz583 / 1996/ 1995. If you pull off the recoil and mount it to a workbench with a clamp or vise grip, then pull the rope until you see the very end where the knot is tied. Then ( I used a piece of wood to lodge in the middle of the recoil to hold it from winding) then very carefully cut the old rope, replace with new feeding through th middle of the recoil and pull out the piece of wood. It should automatically wind back by itself....I did this about 2 weeks ago mine and it worked great....10 min project...good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts