Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats it I'm switching back to non-synthetic oil. I took both top ends apart on my two sleds.
The Formula 500 in which I always run standard Bombardier oil was as clean as could be, no
sticking rings, no blow by, just a nice clean engine. Unlike my HO In which I've been using
Shell ultra synthetic. The last two years I've been having trouble with sticky rave valves and
now when I opened it up I see the rings have been sticking causing blowby and the pistons
were just a mess. So the proof is in the puddin, so I think I'll try running standard Bombi oil
for a year and see if that keeps things cleaner.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You should not be using Shell to begin with... I agree with Machzzzzzz. I use Synthentic Bombardier which is engineered NOT to gum up the rave valves and actually the oil pump has to be turned down using sythetic Bombardier oil vs Bombardier regular oil because it is thinner. You using the wrong brand.
 Dont blame the synthetic, blame the brand - Shell.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I ran the shell syntheticfor a season in my 01 mxzx 800 with no gum up problems.  The shell oil is good oil, not as good as amsoil but twice the price .  

As with any synthetic oil your oil pump must be turned down to compensate for the easier flowing characteristics of the syn oil.

I havent tried Bombi's new synthetic formulation which will be available this season.  It is supposed to smoke way less and not smell like HAGERSVILLE.  I used it before, but people refused to ride with me.  It was casusing severe headaches and nausea, and that was after turning it down

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I was thinking about marketing a new spring water. Hagarsville springs. We could have a picture of a guy hurling on the label

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Guinness looks about the same.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It will be interesting what the oil pump calibration on the SDI motor will be like. You would think something as important as oil injection would be controlled better so that adjustment wouldn't be so hit or miss.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Revrnd the SDI's are supposed to be green  2 strokes.
Emmission friendly, the computer controls the injection supposedly right on the edge to keep things clean.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Permafrost, that's what I want to hear
. None of this turn it half a mm past the line or the lines or out of whack, ad naseum.

Hopefully the calibration will be set lean for emissions & not rich for warranty. Mind you if it's computer controlled, they probably could have it set rich for break in ( like the timing retard) then lean it out after the 6 hours is run.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I cant wait for this SDI technology 2 stroke stuff to be available in all machines.  My next machine will be equiped with this or im not buying it.

Just think.
- Same if not more power.
- Less fuel used
- Less oil used
- Everything computer controlled for optimum performance (including Rave valves, oil injection, and fuel delivery.)
- And it has a knock sensor so the machine will be pretty much invinsible to pre ignition and detonation the number one killer of 2 strokes.

And on top of that better emmitions then 4 strokes.  Not that i care but its cool to tell someone whos putting around on a 4 stroke that hes poluting and becasue of people like him there wont be a future for our children...

Way to go Skidoo (THE 2 STROKE WARRIORS)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts