Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Theres only one right/exact way to sync your carbs. Thats to balance the "mass air flow"

This can be done by balancing the vacuun at the throat of your carb.

The best tool on the market is the "uni-syn" carb sync tool. There are always a few on EBAY.

Before I had this tool, I used to use vacuum gauges on the test ports on the carbs. But the gauges would bounce around quite a bit even though they were liquid filled good quality.

I also made myself a "home made" flow manometer, But again its no where near as accurate as the Uni-Syn.

Let me know if you need advice to build your own Manometer. It's cheap and fairly accurate, only its time consuming.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
sync the carbs ? i just stick my fingers in them and then light with the throttle until i feel the sliders go up and make adjustment if they are not coming up at the same time. some guys use wires and look to see them tip at the same time, even heard drill bits will do.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Scientific-No, cost effective yes.

Without any fancy specialty tools I do it the old fashion way. I use the drill bit method. I check them before I tear them apart for service. I take my drill index and find the exact bit which just slips under one of the slides. When I put them back together I just use a few sizes smaller drill bit to set the cable length then adjust the idle screws to the original drill bit diameter so it just slides under. Funny enough I haven't had to monkey with the idle after this. Bang on 1800. The smaller drill bit allows me to do a minor adjustment down in idle if I had to. Be sure to check your slides at WOT for fully opening and proper free play.

I had tried once to set the sysc by adjusting the cable so the slides were all the way up, flush with the throat. Some one had said set them up to maximize your WOT position. It was some bad advice I took. When I lit er - up went the RPMS and zoom - engagement. Luckily I always hold the tether in my hand when doing any adjustments like this out of habit. I was standing in the garage watching my sled launch out of the door, luckily tether in hand. I was fortunate I had the garage door up over half way or I'd have some explaining to do. The stand would of been a good idea, but then again you know how hind sight works.

If you do adjust the idle make sure to turn both the same ammount to maintain the sync and use the stand when you light er up!!!

I'm sure the gauges are the best way to go if you can make one or borrow one. I saw an article on how to make one on a web site somewhere a while back, I'll post it if I come across it again. It looked very simple to set up.

Have a great day!

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts