Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this topic in the Doo section, but no one has ever had this happen.  The other day I was re-filling my chain case with Ski-Doo synthetic oil and at the bottom of the bottle, the oil started to come out gel-like and clumpy.  This was a brand new bottle and had been sitting in my garage for a month.  This is my first time using synthetic, so I don't know what to expect it to look like.  Should I drain it and try another?
Thanks!!
Anyone heading to the UP (Curtis area) next week?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
My brother has used the 'doo Synthetic Chain Oil, I'll ask him if he has had problems.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Oviously it is the base of the lubricant that is settling. If it was on the shelf long enough it might happen.

I have used ATF TypeIII for the last few years and like using it. If it can take 500ft. lbs. in a chain transfer case in a Diesel pcikup it should be good enough for a sled right?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sounds like it should work mxz but there is only 10-12 ounces in there and most of it is suspended in the chain and gears at say 40mph. The 90 weight stuff has some stick to it and a higher shock load. I would stick with the 90 weight.
The settling is just some base, see it all the time, just give it a good shaking.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (800MXZ @ July 13, 2002, 1:43pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have used ATF TypeIII for the last few years and like using it. If it can take 500ft. lbs. in a chain transfer case in a Diesel pcikup it should be good enough for a sled right?[/b][/quote]
Do you use syn' ATF? I was using conventional ATF in my sleds before I switched to the Klotz Synthetic Tranny Oil. Started using the Amsoil Chaincase oil this winter as it has a lower pour point than the Klotz.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Well, a 5200LB 500ft. lb. of torque Cummins Dielsel only uses a quart in the T Case. Never any shavings, Never had a failure in oh, probably 20,000 miles of riding and racing. Used it in 5 sleds. I think the thinner the better.

In a drag car, like pro stock, they use the absolute thinest oil they can. Less Drag. Allot of drag sleds and oval sleds use ATF so there is the least amount of drag for effeciency. And you can find it anywhere. I prefer the Mopar ATF III or ATF IV, as it is very high grade mineral based.

A Tcase in a 4x4 truck uses the same kind of chain, just allot wider.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A real simple fix for your chaincase oil is to use the Amsoil chaincase oil. It is inexpensive, works very well and doesn't have any odor. Cleans up well too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts