Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking delivery of a new sled this year and I am thinking of running Amsoil in it. How many miles should I have on it with regular petrolium based oil before I switch?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I didn't know there was any reason you couldn't run synthetic from the start.  My friend bought a 02zr500 carb and he ran the AC powervalve oil from the beggining which is a synthetic oil.  The dealer never said anything otherwise to him.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think it's a good question. I know in automotive applications,
or any four stroke thinking about it, you want to make darn sure the rings are fully seated before making the switch. Don't know why that would be any different on a sled (yea, I know,
2 stroke sled). Curious how other people are thinking of it.

AL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I would sure think that if it causes problems in a fourstroke it would in a two stroke.  You learn something new everyday thats why I love this site.  Can't always trust the local dealer to know everything.

Z

·
0 Posts
i ran reg doo oil for first 500 km and added a little in gas at each fill up. about 1/4 of liter to a full tank for breakinabout 3 tanks then switched to synthetic at about 700 kms

PS i heard its not good to use synthetic right off the start use reg oil for breakin period.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I asked the same question last year and several people responded:  "about 500 miles.... need to seat the rings with regular petro oil first...."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have used synthetic oil in a fresh engine with no problems. I have a fresh car engine, I will run that on petrolium oil for the first 1000 then swithch to sythetic.  A new corvette comes from the factory with moboil1 synthetic in it. Maybe it comes down how well the clyinder walls are finished, to promote a good  ring seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts