Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my chaincase oil a few weeks ago and decided to tryout this amsoil synthetic oil. After a week or so i noticed i had some oil under the sled from a leak. Re-drained the oil, took cover back off and made sure everything was put back and reassembled perfectly. Filled back up and still notice a slight drip. After doing some research ive read that some of the older polaris (mines a 98) will not hold synthetic chaincase oil and the oil is too thin and leaks through the seals. Im I reading a bunch of B.S. or should i really pay closer attention to a problem I have. My Gasket was in excellent shape, and i reused the same o-ring type seal that was on thee drain plug. Anyone else have similar problems or hear otherwise? Thanks

-Brett

·
Registered
476 Posts
Two things, if your like me when I fill the chain case up, I spill a few drops of oil, which finds it's way to the pan and then drips out some hole a few days later. It's also possible that there is some grit on the drain hole in the chaincase, and even though the plug and o ring is clean, you can still have a leak. Since all the chanincases I have had since 89 have o ring seals, using syn should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Take your hand and feel to see if there isn't some oil on the INSIDE of your tunnel - below the drive shaft. There's a seal that runs on the drive axle. They'll leak on occasion - especially if your chaincase has been overfilled. Not what you're wanting to hear maybe, but there it is. See the lower # 2

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=11948...XC-SP-CHAINCASE

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take your hand and feel to see if there isn't some oil on the INSIDE of your tunnel - below the drive shaft. There's a seal that runs on the drive axle. They'll leak on occasion - especially if your chaincase has been overfilled. Not what you're wanting to hear maybe, but there it is. See the lower # 2

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=11948...XC-SP-CHAINCASE[/b]

I'll take a look when I get home, but it dosnt make sense because keep in mind i had not even started the machine since the oil change when i noticed the leak. I only used about 8oz of oil...I purchased only a 12oz bottle so i know i wasnt far off if i put to much in on accident. The leak is more of a drip now, but im wondering if it wasnt the gasket or the o-ring the first time i put it back together..... Perhaps the small drip im getting now is just oil still on top of the bellypan who know's. Thanks for the advice though, im definatly atleast gonna check on it, one less thing to worry about anyway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anytime you take the chaincase cover off, you should at least replace the gasket - only because they will leak even if its in a good shape. Or if you must reuse the gasket, silicone the lip of the cover and reinstall it back on. That should stop the leaks. Anyone? WL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts