Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 Exciter II .....  
I think I understand what its for, but is it necessary?
I'm going through the carbs now because the tors was coming on last year. I hear some people disconnect it and jumper the wires. Should I?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the problem, let me know what you guys think.
With the carbs off and slides installed I noticed one of the slides started to move sooner than the other when I sqeezed the throttle.I synchronized them and it worked well on a short run last night. Thanks guys........

·
Registered
27 Posts
If this helps you any, I have a manual and this is the procedure for setting the carb (T.O.R.S) switches.

* Synchronize carbs and set idle speed. Shut engine off.

* Disconnect the carb switch connector, connect a continuity
  tester between leads to the carb switch.

* Loosen the locknut and turn the carb switch  
  counterclockwise until the switch is in the OFF position
  ( circuit open ).

* Turn the carb switch clockwise until the switch is in the
  on position ( circuit closed ). Then turn the switch clockwise
  half a turn and tighten the locknut.

* Repeat procedure for the other carb

Sounds easy but too bad the locknuts aren't that easy to get at. Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
the tors system has nothing to do with the way your engine run unless you run full throttle for long periods it stands for throttle override system it is there in case your throttle sticks wide open it will cut the power to your ignition i have 2 87 xlv 540s and an 93 vmax4 and i disconected them on all 3 because i run wide open alot and it will shut them down if i stay wide open to long

·
Registered
287 Posts
there is a switch on the throttle, then one on the carb (or rail if mulitple carbs) like the last post said, if the switchs  don't synchronize right it stalls the ignition.  It is for safety, stuck frozen slide, throttle cable breaks, etc. to overide it, just unplug the switch at the carb, and plug the wire inline. You can test to see if it works, hold the pivot on the throttle  from coming towards you. rev it up slowly and the engine will stumble and not let it go over 4,000 rpm.  Normally if you squeeze your throttle you will see the pivot pull toward you before you actually open the carb slides, thats what you want to hold. try it. I leave mine on just in case there is an incident. I believe (not sure) if the carb slide sticks after you let off the throttle, the computer sees the throttle switch close at the handle bar, and not at the carbs, its then when it goes into stumble mode. its like a stutter box for drag bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts