Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter I had some clutch probs and it p1ssed me off because the trails were perfect.  Needless to say I ran the heck out of my sled and it would only turn around 8800rpms @ 90mph.  I held it there too and that was all it would turn.  I was told 800 twins have a rpm limiter at 8600. So if it is off a couple hundred revs I thought it may be wise to get it calibrated.  Anyone send in your tach for a calibration?  If so how accurate was it?  Also, is there truth to having the rpm limiter?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, you are not running with much power at all at 8800 rpm.  Power falls off fast after you hit about 8000 RPM.  Blk 800 is right, clutch it for 7800 Rpm if you are running a stock engine

·
Registered
98 Posts
No wonder it only did 90 mph the poor thing was turning 8800!!!!!!!!!!The power peak is at 7800 rpm and on the stock tach it's about 8000rpm.Clutch for that rpm and your mph should be aloth better.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If you know someone who works on Stihl saws, they have a handy little digital tach. You just clip the lead on one of the plug wires & read the tach. Divide that figure by 2 for twins or 3 for triples & you'll have your actual RPM. I ordered one of the gauges myself. I'll get the PN on the weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts