Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will be biased so I posted on both. I am looking at used (1999-2002) Mach Z''s and Tcats. Can anyone tell me pros/cons of each. Which will peform better. Twisty trails, long trails, lakes, gas mileage, power, short drags, long drags and aftermarket mods. Basically anything you care to comment on. Oh, and if anyone has one for sale let me know!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Having owned 3 machZ's, I myself would try the T-cat. Lets face it, you ride these sleds for their intended perpous, go fast and to let people know you can go fast. The machs have been good sleds for me, but it's 200 cc's smaller. Your screename would still work too :D

Do make sure it is dialed in, I have given many T-cats fits :devil:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
They're big, they're heavy but damm their fast. Neither are my kind of sled but I do agree that given a choice "theres no replacement for displacement". I'd lean towards the big kitty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
isn't it like big block or small block?? lol :p

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree completely with sled head........ go with the big cat. Alot of work on the trails cuz they're so heavy but get em on a lake and hold on tight. :hallo8:

·
Registered
886 Posts
You may have opened a big can on this one, lol. Obviously I'm a tad biased, but either is a great sled and very fast. The TCats in stock form win some and loose some to the Mach's, but with a few mods the extra 200cc can do what they should. I've never ridden a Mach but in talking to people who do, they seem to handle about the same as a TCat, but the TCat does have more rear travel which is a big plus. AC has always engineered good suspensions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am also a bit bias having a 2002 T-Cat.

From riding both, (mine and a 2000 Mach Z), and in discussions with other riders I have the following opinion.

For lake racing and limited trail use it is a toss up between sleds. The Mach being down 200cc is dialed in very good by Ski -Doo and gives the Cat all it can handle as other replys have stated. If you want to trail ride on twisty tails or are looking for handling the Cat is the better choice. The front susp on the Cat, in particular, is a much better handling suspension than the Mach.

·
Registered
413 Posts
All in all, I think the Tcat is a better all around sled. Better looking, better suspension, more engine. The only thing I give to the Mach is weight. The reason it keeps up with the Tcat is because it's bullet style looks and Doo does a better job of getting all that power to the ground. Go for the Cat. Once you go cat, you never go back!

PS - I'd love to run into one on my 900 this year! He'll probably get me if the run is long enough, but IF I get a good holeshot I should get a good enough lead to hold him off for a while. Time will tell.

Oh, yeah, look for the 01 Tcat - the best box stock without the added weight of std. reverse and SS, unless you want the comforts of the 02 accesories.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the honest answers. I didnt want to turn this into a brand bashing post and neither did you. Thats pretty cool!

Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bigdude, I'm not sure where you're at in Michigan, but http://www.sledventures.com has several used Machs at pretty good prices. They also have 2 TCats, a '99 and '01. They're in Harrison Twp. and have pretty good deals on used sleds. That's where I got my TCat from.

·
Registered
404 Posts
just remember after taking the big kitty on the trails all day...have plenty of
advil handy for the next morning! :hallo2:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The reason the Mach can beat a Tcat is not weight. Its engine, Clutch, and rear skid.

The Mach 809 engine is probably the Fastest reving sled engine in the industry, It is very hard to hook up becasue the track is always spinning.

The Clutching on the skidoo is also much better. It grips the belt harder preventing slip, Its also more efficent and puts more HP to the ground. However the Arctic cat secondary is better then the skidoo but its the primary that makes the big diffrence in a race.

And the Rear skid offers much less drag then the cats.

In all honesty even though the Mach is down in Hp to the cat it will hardly ever loose a drag and has just a tad more top speed.

The proof is in all the Muscle sled shootouts that the Mach has dominated in.

Now performance aside. The Tcat will have a better ride thanks to independent front suspention and a taller rear suspention. I would give the Tcat better handling to a regular Mach. But a Mach with presision skis will out handle any Tcat and will give ZR and MXZs a run for there money if the trails are twisty but not to rough.

You have to realize that both these sleds can make do on the trails but they are intended to run on lakes and runways. There ride wont be as good as some of the SnowX machines but on groomed trails they rock.

And thanks to them being triples they are not that bad on Gas.

Either way I applaud you for choosing a triple/Triple 2 stroke sled. This is where the real fun is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by 02_mc_500@Oct 17 2002, 01:07 PM
isn't it like big block or small block?? lol :p
GEE think about it BIG BLOCK, :hallo5:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yea that small block will kick the big blocks ### 99% of the time stock for stock.
Besides if Acrtic cat hated them so much that they quite building them, why would you even consider buying the Tcat LMAo

Last edited by Snow Monkey at Oct 18 2002, 12:40 AM

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Cat didn't stop making the Tcat because they "hated" if. It is "mainly" due to the fact that ALL triples sell for almost the same price as the twins and Cat isn't making the extra money to justy the extra triple. Then you have the fact that everyone seems to think they need a twin these days. ;)
So, lets not turn this into bashing guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Skidood, it has nothing to do with hating a sled. It's a matter of business meeting market demand. There have been many threads on this in the past months.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I can pass on a great place to buy left over 2002 Machs right now. Spicer's in Houghton Lake has New 2002MachZs for $5999. That is under retail trade sell used, and only $200 more than retail trade in.

The 2002 Has allot of features over the Tcat

SC10II Suspension (Same as the MX-Zs last year)

RAVE Variable Exhaust = More Bottom end and Better MPG)

DPM Computer Conrolled carbs that dial jetting for temp changes - runs spot on with weather conditions, but works with modifications like pipes, etc... (unlike EFI)

TRA Clutching - Easy to tune for elevation changes using clickers

A few reasons I would pick the Mach over the TCat:

I am a big fan of the big Cats, but Cat has massaged them some. The new chassis sleds do not have the HP that the 96 900s and and 97 1000s did. The clutching also has gotten weak from the origonal sleds.

While the origonal Tcat 1000 was 172 HP, they have quitely crept back into the low 160s, about 10-12 more than the MachZ

Also, when it comes to a trail sled, the CK3 is quite nice (with precision skis), IMHO the Mach is just a bit better suited for the job.

Stock vs. Stock, the 2 sleds are actually quite close as far as a drag race. After mods they get quite close also, unless the Cat goes 1107 or bigger.

THe 809 is a very nice engine, and can be easily built to 162-165 HP for not allot of $$$.

Please guys, I am not bashing
Just trying to pass on my opinion, and the fact that there is a great deal currently on these sleds.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
:withstupid: Those are great prices on those machs!! Should have told me a week earlier and I may have had a new mach instead of a zr. Probably not, but just maybe...hehe :D

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 18 2002, 09:46 AM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go with the T-Cat. My friend had a Mach Z, and had constant problems w/ fowling plugs.

Don't get me wrong it was very fast but only when it decided to run good. He sold it b/c he finally got sick of all the problems.

:cussing: =my friend w/ a mach z

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have to go with the Arctic Cat because it is a qyality machine. I am on my third sled and all have performed well for me. The only thing that you might want to look into is the middle cylinder likes to get hot. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts