Snowmobile World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding my XC 700.
It seems when I start my sled for the first time in the morning, I pull it over and it sort of back fires (farts).  Not loud by any means, just a muffle.  It will do this for a few times, until it starts.

I have also noticed, after I've driven the sled for awhile, when I turn it off, if I leave it for like 5-10 minutes, it won't start right away, I have to pull it like 7 times and then give it gas to keep it from stalling.

Does this sound normal?  I use only premium gas.  Plugs are fine.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

What would be involved with rejetting?  Could this be done by a some-what mechanically inclined person?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Im not 100% sure if thats your problem.  You might want to wait for a reply from someone more fimilier with a polaris engine and your problem.  I was just trying to put you in the right direction.  

And yes i belive that if your somewhat mechanicly inclined you could rejet.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you have a XC with the Keihn carbs, you need a boost bottle. THis will lean out the bottom end sume, but provide a little more stable carburation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you want some more info check out rob`s site www.hardcoresleder.com (hope that`it) he is real good with polaris and has much info on the xc good luck. jeff in nh

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What year is this sled? If you are having probs with starting you need to look at the pilot circiut rather than the main jet. Some earlier 98 and 99 models needed the air screws turned in about 1/8 to 1/4 turn because they were too lean in this area.I have also found that going up one size on the pilot jets helped alot with throttle response also. Another thing to remember is that this motor is way cold blooded and needs to be warmed up good before you ride it or it will bog, pop ,spit, fart or what ever you want to call it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your responses.  I will be definately taking a look at the website listed.

Other than those minor issues, the sled runs very nice and strong.  When I first try to start the sled, the first 2 pulls may give me the farts, after that it will start and idle strong.

When I've been driving it for awhile and turn it off.. it sort of gives me a "warm start", don't know if that's an actual term, but it will take around 5 pulls to start it.

Anyways, thanks again.  I'm heading over to that site.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm still curious about the milage of the sled? If your jetting is stock with low milage, then definately carb adjustments are in order. Fairly easy to do and you will be pleased with the results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a 98 XC 700 with approximately 4200 miles.

Is there a site that would explain how to do carb adjustments?

Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi 40below,

Your pilot circuit is not set right. "You" need to set it for proper combustion at "normal" motor temp. At start it will be too lean and the starter circuit in the carb needs to be used to really richen it up. As the motor temp increases, the jetting will be right-on.
If your pilot circuit is right on, the motor will start on a 1/2 pull after the engine is warmed up.
On a cold start up, the motor will only idle with the choke on (richening the engine) as the motor temp increases, you will notice a drop in rpm and combustion will be too rich. Turn off the choke and it should increase in rpm.

Snowtech web page has a good article on setting a jetting baseline that can help you get the proper info

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I almost bought a used 97xc 700 this past winter. It had a boost botle and clutch mods. It was alot faster than one without a boost bottle for sure. Especially in the midrange and low end. Most all polaris owners buy the boost bottles. Great bange for the buck.
Caleb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts