Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SKI DOOS  are new to me I just got my first set of doos for me and the wife. Mine is a 98 mach? 700 with a big bore kit.I was told that the cyclenders were bored to 800cc and recoated with a diffrent base gasket to change the port timming. Is this true/how reliable is it ? their is a set of Crank Shop pipes on it to  I was told that it has 180-185 hp is that  also true ?Every thing eles is stock. the clutch engages at 3800 rpms The only thing I,m deffently going to do is get EGT gages Any segestions?
?? The other sled is a 500 rock stock
?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Well, lets just say without an EGT gauge, your Mach 1 is a time bomb. It can be reliable, if you treat it right, but it is not nearly as reliable as stock. Get the egt and learn (on this site by asking questions) how to take care of it, otherwise, it will either blow up on you, or run like crap all the time. If everything was done to it that they told you, 185HP is a reality. If your clutch engages at 3800 with those pipes, it is possible that it is not clutched to properly utilize the power those pipes make.

The 500 should run great for you likely till the day you put 'er to sleep. This place is a great place to learn...especially with a monster like that Mach 1 you just bought. Enjoy

·
Registered
107 Posts
what i think you have is a 830 bigbore kit from crank shop. it says in there book that it is rated for arould 165-170hp with there pipes and the base gasket and head mod but i don't know if that includes trail porting to.  Your clutchs should engage more than 3800 rpm.  I have a 98 Formula 111 700 with Crank shop pipes, trail ported, thicker base gasket and the shaved head mod, have not touched the bore on the cylders yet,  Delta 2 reeds, and some more little stuff. My sled moves but still not to my liking. Mine engage 4500 to 4700 for trail riding and 5000 for drag racing.  For draging i also have a 244 1/2 inch lug track.  Any question just ask

·
Registered
172 Posts
the first thing you buy for the sled should be EGT gauges(preferably digital, racepak are nice but expensive, digitron are a little cheaper and in most ways just as good, just they are not made as good), no use ruining a perfectly good motor, and wasting a lot of money(350 for a rebuilt cylinder and if they are crankshop pistons(wiseco probably) they will be expensive, the 1000cc pistons are 250 a peice)          
also, even with the EGT's you will have to learn how to read plugs, different engines like to run at different EG temps, and temps also change with probe placement and such.      
also, the sled being a 98, do you know if they ever replaced the bottom end(crank and cases), 98 was a bad year for the 700 triple. some lasted some didn't
anyway, good luck, and remember when in doubt run em rich

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the info on the sled. What is the best starting point, to start out with on the clutch? spring ,cams,or what  now it is all stock I was allso woundering about reeds or the exhaust valve and gearing. I live in Michigain all my rideing is in the lower part. Right now im useing Amsoil ? good or bad. I live by the shop that built the motor but the only info I can get from them  is that it will beat a tcat in 500feet and that should be good enought for me to now(bad history with dealer)It only reads 2600miles on it (beleve it or not)their are no dentsor scratches on it .I paid 3000. US ok deal or not? the 500 was 1700. with 1600 miles still has factory tags on bulk head. do no like pipes on mach to loud !!!And no im not to old  only 30 thanks for all inf great site for doos

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
you should try and find the clutching and jetting recomendations that come with those pipes. Crankshop should be able to provide that for you. Stock clutching will not properly utilize the power those pipes can put out.

From what I hear, Amsoil is an excellant lubricant. Like the other guys mentioned...make sure that the crank case has been updated to allow more lubrication to the bearings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have the papers for the pipes  I need the number for the crankshop  no web site

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The Crankshop, 802-878-3615, ask for technical, and Kurt is the man to talk to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts