Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching from a temp light to a guage, Did it yesterday, But the guage wont work.
I took both the guage and sensor from my F111 and put it in my STX but the needle wont move. Would they be wired the same (both sleds) I also put on the gas tank with the electric guage and it works fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Remove wire from sensor in the engine head and start up engine. Ground wire anywhere on engine and temp guage should go immediately straight into the red. The sensor is a variable ground control for the temp electrics. This will tell you if the wiring is correct or the sensor is at fault. Since it is between 2 different machines, the guage would be the same but I am not sure of the sensor. It may requie a different sensor.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Are you using the stock sending unit or did you replace it with the one necessary for the gauge? You need a different sender in the head in order for the gauge to work. If you have the correct sending unit, then double check your wiring harnesss and make sure you hooked than up right.....I've been there man

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rocketman is absolutely correct. The warning light sending unit is effectively a thermal switch. Below it's trip point, it is off (open circuit, gauge would not move). When it gets to it's trip point (engine overheating), it closes and your gauge would read full (short circuit, "in the red" indication). The new sender needed for the gauge has a linear resistance change based on temperature. It would be a high resistance when cold, linearly changing to a lower resistance as the engine temperature increased.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I did the same thing on my mxz, I don't know about your machine but on mine I had to totally disconnect the (it's too late light) in order for the gauge to work. As long as you have the correct sending unit in. Try it, it might work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I made the switch , I took the complete dashboard from the F111 and installed it ,the wire harness plugged right in .The sensor is also out of the F111 motor, I checked pt # and the formulaZ 583 and the f111 both used the same sensor.
 Does it matter which side the 2 clips plug into the sensor??
 Last night I plugged in one side of the sensor and grounded the other one but the guage didn't move, asme result when I switched sides.....  Thanks Rodney

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drilled and taped a hole in the head of my 670, for the new sensor.  Now I have both a temp guage and the idiot light.  Wiring was very easy.  There is a 3 way plug down by the oil pump.  One wire from the temp sensor went to the open slot, and the other wire jumped from the idiot light sensor.  The guage has three wires coming out of it and there was a four way plug right next to it under the dash.  I plugged the green to green, yellow to yellow, and yellow/black to yellow black.  Started the sled and it worked.  One thing I did notice is the first time out, riding in very marginal conditions is that the idiot light came on a couple times, while the guage wasn't reading all that much higher than normal.  Maybe it is just more sensitive to engine heat.  Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts