Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

What a great site....glad I found it. Here's the deal and I hope someone can help. I recently picked up a 93 indy storm 750 and although it is in great shape, there are a few things.

- The contacts for the temperature sensor for the temp light have snapped off and the wire is hanging bare without a connector. I think I can solder new leads to the contact stubs after seeing a new sensor at the nearby dealer (one lead is longer than the other and is 70 bucks new). There appears to only be one wire in the vicinity of the sensor....so my question is....is the sensor simply a switch to ground, completing the light circuit? In such a case I would simply attach the one indicator light wire to what was the longer post on the sensor. I guess that is a long way of asking how the sensor works (single wire, grounding switch or positive feed in and out which is given continuity with high temperatures).

- Second, the air box has a hole on the left and right side (while sitting on the sled). The left side has a rubber plug covering the hole, but the right hole is open. Am I missing a plug on the right side or is this normal?

Any answers you folks have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts
The sensor is a grounding sensor. The hole on the right side is always open on all the indys I have seen anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you can get a used sensor for around thirty bucks, but make sure you get it for the same temp as the old one, i found out the hard way i had a fresh rebuilt and had put a uesd sensor in(15 degrees cooler than old one) thought i had a overheating problem after alot of headache i looked on the side of sensor and it will tell the temp it goes off(idiot light)
I had a xlt and i had gotten a used one out of an xcr. :devil:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check with Napa if the sender has a number on it they can cross refrence it , should be about half the price.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Why buy a used one could get same **** as what you have, buy a new one...... Not even a suggestion to by a used part like that. Its not like it is $200 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually able to find a good deal on a new guage and sensor kit.....going to be nice to know the exact coolant temp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts