Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a Tempa Flow going bad?

I have my mag side buring down quite often. What's happening is the exhaust side skirt is rubbing up against the cylinder therefore compression is reduced.

I'm not running too hot, that I know of. I wonder if I could have a partially clogged oil injection hose or could my oil pump be going????? Anyone have some ideas.

My tempa flow is about 4 years old.

Thanks, Been a while since I've been on here last, I have to start again!!!!

D

·
10,054 Posts
any chance that either the cylinder or the piston was out of spec?? just a thought.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The only issue with the Tempa Flow is tha belt dust and debris can get into the white nylon adjustment screw and upset the compensation factor. That would have an effect on all cylinders not just one though. Just clean it out with soapy water and blow it dry with compressed air.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean what out with soapy water? The tempa flow, or just the hose? I guess I don't quite understand. I thought the tempa flow was a pretty delicate thing. Could you explain what you mean???

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Take the Tempa Flow compensation unit (aluminium part) off the hoses and look at the area around the white plastic adjustment screw. If it is covered with black belt dust and debris, clean it with warm soapy water and an old tooth brush. The area around the screw and casing is what calibrates the amount of vacuum signal going to the carburetor float bowl vents. As I already stated, if there was a problem with the Tempa Flow it would affect all cylinders since they are t'ed off the same hose.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thumbdoctor'

Thanks a lot. I thought that if the TF wasn't working properly, that both cylinders would be afected.

What if the hose going from the TF had a small pin hole? That would just make it so it wouldn't have the right amount of pressure, therefore making it run rich because of the bigger jet......

Does that sound right?

I'm hinking that it may be some sort of semi clogged oil line, or oil pump problem, or could reeds play an issue???

Could a bad reed be causing some problems??? Stock reeds- about 8,000

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The Tempa Flow can only apply vacuum to the float bowls so if you had a pin hole or any vacuum leak for that matter, your system would revert back to whatever jet and pilot size your operating with. The unit cannot make it any richer than your float chambers at open atmosphere. The only system that will enrich the mixture is the early 2 solenoid DPMs installed on Summet X and MXz 670 HO with the help of a small air pump.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'd suggest you take a look at the roundness of your cylinder. If the cylinder is out of round the piston will rock more than normal and that can place additional stress on the skirt and lead to failure. You should also make sure you do not have any air leaks. You will need to do a pressure test to check the MAG side crank seal.

If the Tempa-Flow fails your carbs go back to full rich, so not likely that has anything to do with your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts